Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't the newest news out there, but I haven't seen anyone post on this here.
Apparently Remington struck a deal with the Zastava plant in Serbia to import Mausers and their Mini-Mausers, and thus forced Charles Daly to discontinued their line of Mausers.
From Charles Daly website:
Zastava Firearms Discontinued

Effective January 1, 2006, we are no longer importing any products from Zastava of Serbia. All of our Mauser and Mini-Mauser bolt action rifles, barreled actions and actions as well as our Superior II rimfire rifles and the ZDA pistols are now discontinued. Zastava has decided to join with Remington Arms for now, so in the very near future you should be able to purchase Mauser (Remington Model 798), Mini-Mauser (Remington Model 799) and Zastava rimfire rifles (Remington Model Five) for approximately 10% more than you were paying for the Charles Daly brand. We don’t think Remington will be selling actions or barreled actions but that remains to be seen. We do know that Remington will not be selling the ZDA pistol.
There are still some inventories of Charles Daly Mausers, Mini-Mausers, actions and barreled actions in the channel of distribution. We suggest you buy them now before you have to pay 10% more for the exact same product, if you can get it at all.

Now for the "New" Remington additions for 2006:
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_798.asp

and

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/rimfire_rifles/model_799.asp

How do you guys feel about this new development?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,353 Posts
It stinks, and it shows that a longtime US rifle builder doesn't think they can build lower-priced rifles for any profit. They are probably right. We've shot ourselves in our collective kiesters by paying workers too much to allow the companies to do the work here. Big surprise the business goes overseas. The Bean-Counters have ruined many fine American companies. Another ten years, Big Green will be no more.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not a fan of Zastava rifles but I love my Remington’s I think that with the excellent SPS range they wouldn’t need to start another cheap line I would much rather see them make there own M98 actions and rifles.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am sure lots of people would love to see Remington themselves build an American Mauser action. Like the good ol days of the Pre 64 Winchester model 70s. But this is a matter of money I believe (and what ain't?) and the people that don't know it isn't a "REAL" Remington, will probably grab at em.
EAA and now Charles Dalys=Zastava Mausers, what next for the imports with American names slapped on?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts