Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a gun shop today (Okay, a couple of them) looking around. I spotted a 91/30 in the corner that was being offered for sale and looked at it. When an employee there learned of my interest in Mosins, he offered to sell me his personal Remington manufactured Mosin. He said it was an M91 manufactured for Russia in 7.62x54 rather than some odd caliber. I know of one guy who says his is chambered in 30-40.

I have been looking on 7.62x54r.net for info on the rarity and value of Remington models. I have been poking around other sites, too. This guy says that the one that he has never left the US. Anyone know any info on the value of Remington manufactured models?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
They are not that unusual, and probably wont fetch a high price but if you want one GET IT!!!:)

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Here's a site that ranks Mosins by rarity

I was at a gun shop today (Okay, a couple of them) looking around. I spotted a 91/30 in the corner that was being offered for sale and looked at it. When an employee there learned of my interest in Mosins, he offered to sell me his personal Remington manufactured Mosin. He said it was an M91 manufactured for Russia in 7.62x54 rather than some odd caliber. I know of one guy who says his is chambered in 30-40.
I have been looking on 7.62x54r.net for info on the rarity and value of Remington models. I have been poking around other sites, too. This guy says that the one that he has never left the US. Anyone know any info on the value of Remington manufactured models?
Rarity of Mosin Nagant Rifle Variations

I think the Remingtons are about a five out of possible ten; you can look at the other rankings to get a feel for how rare that is.

The Remingtons are well-made, and well-finished. And I believe they have walnut stocks, like the New England Westinghouse Mosins.

I don't know what current prices are, but I'm betting they probably aren't more than a decent M39.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Its not that unusual that the rifle never made it out of the country. The Russians signed the treaty of Brest-Litovsk in 1917 taking them out of WWI, so any rifles made here for them after that would not have been delivered. Oddly enough, the United States sent troops to Russia to fight with the White Russian forces in the civil war that followed into 1919. These troops were armed with M91's made here to simplify ammuntition supply logistics.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
I have an American Mosin that never left

Its not that unusual that the rifle never made it out of the country. The Russians signed the treaty of Brest-Litovsk in 1917 taking them out of WWI, so any rifles made here for them after that would not have been delivered. Oddly enough, the United States sent troops to Russia to fight with the White Russian forces in the civil war that followed into 1919. These troops were armed with M91's made here to simplify ammuntition supply logistics.
But it's a N.E. Westinghouse, not a Remington. Someone long ago bubba'd the stock, then apparently used it very little or not at all.

Many of the Westinghouse and Remington Mosins were bought by the U.S. Army and used as trainers, at least partly to keep the companies out of bankruptcy. Many of the rest were converted to .30-06, and some of those conversions are downright dangerous. If I ever bought one, that's one time I WOULD take a gun to a smith to be looked at before I fired it.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This guy wants $200 for the Remington. I checked every page on 7.62x54r.net prior to posting, but it still didn't really satisfy my curiosity.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 1916 Remington mosin nagant that i picked up at a gun show for $150. I would say that a rifle in really nice shape would be worth $250 to $300. There were about 750000 rifles produced and a little less than 500000 were actually shipped to Russia. Mine has Ishevsk parts on the bolt and the floor plat and butt plate were both forced matched to it. But the floor plate was forced matched twice once to my rifle and once to another. It also does not have any import marks on it so its anyones guess if it was over seas. I think $200 would be a fair price depending on condition and no doubt would make an interesting piece to have in a mosin collection.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
How about an update, troylaplante?

Did you ever buy the Remington m91 you were discussing in this thread?

·
Registered
223 Posts
my SKY m-28 finn has a remington m91 stock on it and a tula reciever the stock was modified to accept the tikka barrel but still has the remington cartosh.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts