Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Remington Model 17 shotgun that first belonged to my grandfather, then my dad, and now me. It was made in 1930. I'm not so interested in what the gun is worth because I don't plan on selling it, but rather if I should have the gun refinished.

Most of the bluing is worn off the receiver, but there really isn't any rust or pitting. The wood looks like it was refinished one time in the past, maybe by my father. I like the gun, and it shoots well, and it really compliments my Ithaca 37. But every time I look at it, I think I should take it to a competent gunsmith and have the metal reblued and the stock refinished. I'm willing to spend the money to have it properly done.

Would this be a good idea or not? Someday this gun will be passed along to another family member.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have seen the Remington model 17 that were selling between $250.00 and $400.00 If you ask a collector they will tell you no because it will take the value down. But in your case and the wood has already been refinished once, I don't think its going to matter. Also this is a gun that was passed down to you and I'm sure your going to keep it. I would say yes if you think it would help you enjoy it more. I had the same thing with a Winchester Model 12 16 Ga. that was in pretty ruff shape. I had no intentions of getting rid of it, so I had it completely refinished and passed it onto my son who thinks it's the greatest shotgun in the world. I would say I got my money's worth. The gun turned out beautifully.

Now you are going to put about $ 300.00 in the refinish job. I hope this helped your decision because it sounds like you want to do this anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts