Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to say HELLO to everyone as I am new to the forum. I do have a question concerning A Remington Model 1900 shotgun. The barrels are marked KEC///, I am not sure of this marking. The barrels appear to be steel, but I not sure according to the markings. If anyone knows, I would greatly appreciate the help.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Welcome to G&G,

Here's a link to your shotgun,
Firearm Model History - Remington Model 1900

The Damascus Barrel

Damascus or “Damascus twist” barrels are older shotgun barrels that typically were made before 1900. Iron and steel ribbons were twisted and welded together. Damascus barrels are weaker than modern barrels and are not designed for the high gas pressures created by modern ammunition. Damascus barrels have a distinctive, irregular pattern of short, streak-like marks around the barrel.

If you have a Damascus barrel gun, don’t shoot it. The barrel may burst slightly ahead of the chamber, crippling the shooter’s hand or forearm. If you have an older firearm and are not sure if it has a Damascus barrel, go to a qualified gunsmith to identify its make before shooting it.

Michigan Hunter Safety Course - Differences Between Rifles, Shotguns and Handguns

http://www.griffinhowe.com/damascus_twist.cfm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Kodiak32. This shotgun has the steel barrels and not the damacus, the only thing that puzzles me is the "C" after the KE. I checked in Semmer's book and he lists four grades, K - Steel Barrles, No Extractors, KE - Steel Barrels, Extractors, KD - Damascus Barrels, No Extractors, KED - Damascus Barrels, Extractors.

·
Registered
667 Posts
The C is a real puzzle, in Semmers book on page 263 he lists a ///KEY. It sounds like Semmer believes the /// are possibly related to the degree of choke.

You might try this resource,

Remington Society of America

Hopefully someone else might post with some more input. If I come across anything I'll let you know.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
2gunho1 WELCOME to GUN and GAME feller !!! Glad you Joined and looking forward to seeing you around too !
Your going to make a good many friends here so enjoy the site...A.H

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have to agree with you, the "C" is very puzzling. I have seen the gun in Semmers book, I have also seen one at the gun show here in Houston. I check the RSA site out, nothing the the "KEC". I agree with you also on the "///", this seems to indicate a full choke, as I can put a dime on the end on the barrel an it does not go in. Do you know if there is a way I can contact Charles regarding the "C"? Thanks for all of your help!!!

Hello AH, Thanks for the post. I hope to meet alot of people on here.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Here's the information I have on contacting him :

Remington Society of America

You might try sending him a letter first with some pictures of the firearm and markings on it, be sure to include your email address. You might mention that you have his book also.

I hope I was of some help, if I find any additional information I'll let you know.

Good Luck and post often.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Welcome to G&G. We have a lot of not folks here. Enjoy the site.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the post WINDWALKER! As I have said, I am new to Gun and Game, but in the short time I have been here I have meet many fantastic and helpful people!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info Kodiak32. This shotgun has the steel barrels and not the damacus, the only thing that puzzles me is the "C" after the KE. I checked in Semmer's book and he lists four grades, K - Steel Barrles, No Extractors, KE - Steel Barrels, Extractors, KD - Damascus Barrels, No Extractors, KED - Damascus Barrels, Extractors.
Hi gang. Just found this forum with a search, and a relatively current topic, too. Wow.

I have a 1900, just marked K.
BUT, it has extractors. (I assume we mean the pop-up plate around the shells that lift them out of the breech some).
Serial is 3024xx. Repeated on trigger housing, barrel, and main housing plate, so I know it hasn't been cobbled together from several guns.

This was my grandfather's gun, I shot it some growing up (I'm 59).
Just shot couple rounds last week, no probs, figgered might as well have it around loaded for HD. Nice shape. No rust, just smooth tarnish I'd call it. I seem to remember that the stock was redone by some custom fellow toward the end of granddad's life, would have been in late 60's.

Thinking of selling it, any ideas what it might be worth?
I'm upgrading my weaponry for the coming Dark Ages :)
Thinking of adding modern pump to rest of handgun arsenal.

Oh, and by the way, I shot 2 3/4" double aught through it. A 3" shell seats fine, but I'm pretty sure that's probably a no no. I measured down to the expansion chamber ring thingie, and it's just short of 2 3/4"'; I'm wondering if this isn't actually chambered for some slightly shorter shell they used to make? And if so, reckon the 2 3/4" are okay? I understand a little, like the shell is actually measured from what it is after it's shot, since a 2 3/4" is actually about 2 5/8" loaded.

Thanks in advance for any answers ... best to all!

- doogle

·
Registered
360 Posts
Howdy doogle, welcome to the boards.

I'm not that familiar with the Rem. 1900, but I'd wager dog turd to a doughnut hole it has short chambers (2 1/2"-2 9/16") Were I you I wouldn't shoot any more hot (buck shot) loads through it. That "expansion chamber ring thingie" is the forcing cone and when the crimp from a to long hull opens up into it chamber pressures will peak. I personally wouldn't use light game loads either, not when the proper length cartridges are readily available. PolyWad makes a really good cartridge and Graff and Son's carries a few from other manufacturers.

I may be wrong, and somebody correct me if I am, but 2gungho1 may have been confusing extractors with ejectors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Howdy doogle, welcome to the boards.

I'm not that familiar with the Rem. 1900, but I'd wager dog turd to a doughnut hole it has short chambers (2 1/2"-2 9/16") Were I you I wouldn't shoot any more hot (buck shot) loads through it. That "expansion chamber ring thingie" is the forcing cone and when the crimp from a to long hull opens up into it chamber pressures will peak. I personally wouldn't use light game loads either, not when the proper length cartridges are readily available. PolyWad makes a really good cartridge and Graff and Son's carries a few from other manufacturers.

I may be wrong, and somebody correct me if I am, but 2gungho1 may have been confusing extractors with ejectors.
Hmmm...okay..I'll try to find out just what length this thing WAS chambered for. In the meantime, I'll take your advice and not shoot anything through it I guess.
Probably best that I do sell it and get a current pump just for HD; prolly a 870 Remington or 500 Mossberg with the 6 or higher capacity.

I'm sentimental about this baby and all, but I have no one to leave it to, so it's gone when I am .. might as well be in the hands of an appreciative collector.

thanks,
doogle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Probably best that I do sell it and get a current pump just for HD; prolly a 870
Just a followup, guys...
I did go ahead and just get a fierce defense shotty: the Remington 870 Express Synthetic. 6+1, awesome.

Have had more advice re the chambering on the 1900, and indeed it seems it is probably 2 5/8 or 2 9/16. If I had tried to keep it as a shooter, would seek out a gunsmith who can measure it exactly, but guess I'll just sell it, soon as I figure out how. Seems to be worth minimum $500 to the right person.

Appreciate the inputs,
- doogle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts