Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned my model 710 270win. for about four years and have had three different scopes on it. Normally I can hold a quarter sized pattern with every other rifle I have shot at 100yds., weather it is with iron sights or scope. With this rifle I cannot even get a two inch pattern consistently, these are three round bursts. If anyone wants this gun for $300 without scope then they can have it. The MSRP is $426 with a scope, but, I have already sold the original scope with my marlin 30/30, but it does come with an extra magazine. To put it in layman's terms, I cannot stand a rifle that is not accurate 100% of the time and this is one of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love my 710. It's been dropped, soaked, banged against trees while running through the woods, and still shoots like a champ. My first recommendation is an extra clip, though. I've put countless rounds through it with no problem... except the POS plastic bolt stop that breaks within the first year of ownership. Horrible design flaw; I'm a fan of fast groupings, so I need to be able to put a little pressure on the bolt slide. And when I emailed Remington about it, their only response was, "take it easier on your firearm."
Well, excuse me for USING my gun! It ain't a mantle piece... I got it at a gun show in Jacksonville, FL for only $175 without the stock scope. Great gun for the money, but not worth throwing a Leupold on it. I'm looking at Savage PKG or a real 700. Any suggestions between the 700 and 770?

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Great advice Lefty.So I hear the troubles only get worse with the 710/770. ,,,sam.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I don't think the 770 is any better than the 700. There are plenty of good prices on 700's out there and a lot more variety.

·
Registered
1 Posts
model 710

:poke:i probaly going to buy one for 280 dollars it comes with a scope (bushnell 3x9-40),100 rounds of ammo,and a sling is that a good dill?it has been shot 30 times!!!!!!!! LOL

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
:poke:i probaly going to buy one for 280 dollars it comes with a scope (bushnell 3x9-40),100 rounds of ammo,and a sling is that a good dill?it has been shot 30 times!!!!!!!! LOL
They are cheap, crappy rifles, you'll be much better off to buy a Marlin XL-7 or a Savage 111, both cost about $300.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My brother's 710 is in 300 rem mag, who said they are only in 30.06 and .270
and it is a very cheap gun.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
My brother's 710 is in 300 rem mag, who said they are only in 30.06 and .270
and it is a very cheap gun.
Surely you mean .300 Win Mag? No way did they chamber those in .300 Remington Ultra Magnum!?!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
710 Safety Notice

MODEL 710®
PRODUCT SAFETY WARNING
AND RECALL NOTICE

Remington Arms Company, Inc. is voluntarily recalling a limited number of Model 710 bolt-action rifles as a result of its discovery, during routine test firing, that some Model 710 rifles manufactured between July and October 2002 may have been assembled with an improperly made "Safety Detent Spring." Although unlikely, there is a possibility that the manual safety arm mechanism in such a rifle could fail to fully return to the "safe" or "on" position.
If you own a Model 710 rifle please enter your serial number below to determine if your firearm needs to be inspected or repaired as part of the recall.
Your browser does not support iframes.
WARNING: Use of a rifle with an improperly functioning safety could lead to an accidental discharge, resulting in personal injury, death or property damage. Owners of Model 710 rifles subject to this recall should not attempt to diagnose or repair their rifles themselves.
No other Model 710 rifles, or other models of Remington firearms, are subject to this recall.
Anyone who currently owns or possesses a Model 710 Rifle subject to this recall, or who purchased one and gave it or sold it to another party, should contact Remington immediately by calling 1-800-243-9700, or 1-336-548-8700, Monday through Friday 9 AM – 5PM EST. Remington will assist you in making arrangement to have your rifle inspected and/or repaired by a Remington Authorized Repair Center at no charge to you. To expedite repair program, Remington will send shipping tags to each customer and will cover all related shipping and repair charges. Please do not return your rifle to a Remington Authorized Repair Facility before contacting Remington on the toll-free hotline.
Remington apologizes for this inconvenience, but wants its customers to enjoy the shooting sports safely. It is important, therefore, that owners of Model 710 rifles subject to this recall participate in this program and do not use their rifles before they have been inspected and or repaired.
Safety and safe firearms handling is everyone’s responsibility.

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
I've fallen in love with these cheap hunks of absolute crap.. Their so terrible I now own one in 7mm Mag, 30-06, and one in .243 that's been borrowed by my nephew on a semi-permanant basis. (on the other hand, he did shoot his first deer with it.)

They're not pretty, but even with the cheap Bushnell scope they come with, they just put holes where my scopes are pointed. Many point at the sticky bolt, but with a touch of Gunzilla on the bolt, even the long action bolts run forward and backwards just fine..

The only issue I've had was that the mag that came in my (used) 7mm Mag. would not travel veritcally correctly, occasionally sticking. I paid $18 for a new mag made for 710/770 and it's been fine, since.. I'm pretty sure the reason I found it cheap ($250 at Gander Mountain) in an almost unfired condition was that the mag was the issue with the previous owner.

All three of my 710's have no problem shooting sub 1" groups at 100 yards. The .243 likes Winchester 100gr Power Point ammo and the 7mm Mag and 30-06 shoot the Remington 150gr Core-loct ammo in either the Remington or Peter's boxes.

For a beater hunting rifle, they're tough to beat for the price. (which has gone up since they quit making them)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lol

I have two 710's, both in .30-06. They are my working guns, and I've beat the heck out of them since day one and never had a single problem. 100 yard 5-shot groups that can be covered with a nickel with Remington Core-Lokts from both.
They aren't fancy and they're not expensive, but they do what they're supposed to do and they do it well.
No complaints here.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I have two 710's, both in .30-06. They are my working guns, and I've beat the heck out of them since day one and never had a single problem. 100 yard 5-shot groups that can be covered with a nickel with Remington Core-Lokts from both.
They aren't fancy and they're not expensive, but they do what they're supposed to do and they do it well.
No complaints here.
That's a big nickel.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Im not a big fan of Remington ANYTHING. If it were my dime I would buy something else. I almost considered a 770 in 7mm or 30-06 cause big 5 had em on sale for 300 But then I thought about it a Brand New Rifle in .30-06 for 300 bucks. Whats the deal? I'll tell you what it is! There CHEAP! and I dont mean in price.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts