close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Remington Model 783

Discussion in 'Remington' started by mauser9, Nov 12, 2013.

1. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Remington trying again this time with a improved model over the 710 and 770. Read a review in American Rifleman and for what its worth sounds like an improvement. What do you guys think?

2. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Sounds like they sent American Rifleman a free rifle and a bunch of ammo.

Truly, I have not seen a 783 but am looking forward to doing so. I hope that they hit on good rifle this time.

3. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

I hope so too Tex. Am a Rem. 700 fan myself. Wouldn't want to make any mistakes on a design today.

4. I have only heard good things, surprising because Remington quality has been in the dumper in recent years. also don't forget, its a entry level model.

5. From everything I have read and seen of the rifle, it appears to fit a desperately needed niche for Remington. Sort of what Sako did with the Tikka, or the Ruger and the American.

The barrel nut will lend itself for upgrades and a tighter chamber as compared to most 700's these days. Boyds is already making wood stocks for this rifle.

The detachable mag will make it easy to drop ammo and keeping spares handy

Sako type extractor should rip those cases out of the chamber

Pillar bedded and completely free floated, maybe not a first, but a confident feature considering most 700 come with a pressure pad.

For the young shooter or someone on a budget, and the intention is to fill the freezer, i would give this rifle a serious look. A 700 it is not, but in the end you dont need a $4k GA precision rifle to drop a deer at 80Y.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  6. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Rem 783

Hopefully this will be an improvement and a good seller for Rem. They do have some competition from Ruger, Marlin, and others. Guess they all needed to fill this line of budget rifles as the cost of a Rem. 700 BDL with walnut is outta sight. Still for those on a budget I would still recommend checking out a used 700 as they can be had for around the same price as a budget rifle. Still I hope this 783 is a good seller for Rem. for those who insist on a new rifle.

7. Tack Driver

Tack Driver G&G Evangelist

Just red the review one of my favorite gun writers (David E. Petzal) did in Field & Stream. He seemed to like it okay, but did reiterate that it's a cheap and ugly rifle (which it is). But the shooting they did with it impressed me. Most of the ammo they shot went sub 1" for 3 shots. Some match ammo they shot produced a .477" group, maybe Sierra Matchkings, I can't remember off the top of my head. So it appears to be accurate. I haven't handled one yet but I'm sure it will be an improvement over the 710/770 series

8. one of the things I have heard is handloads make the 783 a sub-moa rifle.

9. My LGS had one in briefly. Came in, then out the door pronto. I did get to look it over and, frankly, I was quite impressed. My favorite low priced rifle is the Marlin X7 series, but the 783 is close enough to call 'em equal. As to "beauty", I am old fashioned and prefer shiny blue steel and well-figured walnut. Given that such rifles are no longer routinely manufactured, the matte finish and synthetic stock is as good as we can expect these days. It is -- to my eyes -- not as ugly as a Savage, but a Savage gets better and better the more I shoot it into one tiny hole! From what I could tell in my handling of the Rem 783, I'd not hesitate to buy one.

10. I handled one couple weeks ago. Looks to me to be basically an X7 with a box mag.

11. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Looks like a winner . JR

12. blake moore

blake moore G&G Newbie

Hard pecker in my soup bowel✊

Posted From Gun & Game Mobile!

13. deadzero

deadzero G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

The 783 has the possibility of being a quite good rifle (have not shot one yet).

Looks as though they used several of Savages ideas on this one. first, like mentioned above, they use a barrel nut to set the barrel to the receiver. second, they now use a floating bolt head design (Savage) that allows the bolt face to perfectly square itself to chamber centerline eliminating bolt flex when firing. Third, the trigger looks just like a Savage AccuTrigger, also internally adjustable (have not had one apart to compare how they adjust, or if they break as cleanly as the savage design).

one thing Remington did that was a plus was the narrowed ejection port. this puts solid steel between front and rear scope base mounts. Both front and rear base mounting holes are equal and use the same bases front and rear as the model 700 front base. (use two Weaver #35 bases for the 783)

one note here, I've found that when using a Weaver base make sure the rings are one size taller than what you would expect to use. If mounting a 40mm scope, if you use rings that say "up to 40mm objective", clearance problems have been encountered between the bolt cycling rearward and the rear scope bell. if mounting a 40mm use rings high enough for a 44mm and you will be fine.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  14. Sav .250

Sav .250 G&G Evangelist

The writer said it`s rough but has good accuracy. Good blue-collar rifle.

15. Grunt

Grunt G&G Newbie

Hi folks. Just found the site & joined up. Looks great!
    I bought a 783 about a month ago, finally caught a bit of a break in the
    weather to get my scope sighted in somewhat.
    Needs fine tuning. First of all, it shoots
    really well. Gonna be quite accurate I believe, from what little I've got to work
    with it.
    Have run into a problem, however. The bolt doesn't want to strip the cartridge
    from the mag. sometimes it does, sometimes not. Seems like the mag. just sits
    too low or bolt too high. Had ordered another from Midway for a spare, which
    came today. same result. Called Remington, explained the issue, they are
    sending another mag to try, but don't think now that is the issue. If this
    doesn't work, I'll call Rem. again & may have to send the rifle back for repair
    or replacement.
    Aside from this issue, I really like the rifle. Plain Jane, but, a deer likely won't
    complain.
    I'll update when I have something.

16. Grunt

Grunt G&G Newbie

Ok, finally an update on the 783.
    Had to send the rifle back to a Rem. serv. ctr. in Paducah, Ky. Got it
    back in about a week ( surprised ). Problem was the magazine as I thought.
    Note with the return said..mag. adjusted. Worked fine after that.
    Went back to my makeshift range, 50 yds, all I had room for.
    The 783 shoots really well out of the box, with Hornady 150 gr. American
    Whitetail ammo ( head stamped Match ). Last 2 rnds I shot measured
    with calipers @ 0.261 center to center.
    Next phase is to work up some handloads to tailor it to this rifle. A bud of
    mine has some acreage where maybe I can stretch it out to 100 yds
    and see what it will do. Also, going to get a Lead Sled Plus to keep things
    steady.
    Gonna be a while before I get all this together. I'll update when it's done.
    Later.......

FWIW, my experience with Remington Customer Serv. was great. Very
    helpful, no BS. Gotta give Rem. a thumbs up on this one.

17. cyberlord

cyberlord G&G Newbie

Purchased my 783 back in April and have only shot a few boxes of ammo through it. I am having the same problem with stripping the round off the magazine, if I hold the magazine to the rifle firmly it will work but that is cumbersome.

On my last trip out the extractor broke and the pieces bound the bolt up so it would not open.

Called Remington Repair Service this morning and waited 30 minutes then opted for their call back service. We'll see how that goes.

Tim

Edit: Just had Remington Repair Service call me back and the paperwork is being emailed to me as we speak. Experience was pleasant.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  18. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Just caught your thread Cyber. Sorry to hear of the extractor and the feed problems from the mag. Sounds like the design and quality control leave a bit to be desired. Ashame these days. My 700 from 84 has never given me a problem. Good luck and hope to hear more.

19. Rmart30

Rmart30 G&G Regular

I picked up a 783 compact in 308 for $289 ... couldnt pass up trying one for that price even if not my first caliber choice... I like my 700's but I wanted something cheaper that I could bang around in the truck and not worry about with a detachable magazine. I had previously bought a Axis in 223. It was a ugly thing IMO and the barrel was too long for easy truck carry but I got to say it was a dang good shooter.
    Im still waiting on getting some glass onto the 783 so i cant post a range report on it.
    Thru trying it I found they take the same limbsaver recoil pads that a syn stocked 700 takes.
    The camo stock offering looks much nicer than the black. If ya dont like those Boyds stocks already has nice laminate stocks for them for $99.
    I do wish the barrel was threaded like the Ruger American Ranch and the Savage hog hunters are. Not for a can but id like to be able to screw on a flash hider or something to protect the barrel crown when its muzzle down in the truck floor.
    I really would like to see the 783 offered in a compact 7mm 08. I would have chosen it over the 308.