Gun and Game Forum banner

Remington Nylon Model 66 Chrome

30K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  oneduckdog 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of this rifle and does anyone near Chattanooga TN have one in very good to excellant condition for sale? A friend of mine had one stole a few years ago and would like to replace it.

#6 ·
DOC, my 66 works fine with everything except target .22 ammo, which doesn't cycle all the time. Cheap ammo ("Wal-mart specials" in the USA) work great. I favor Federal and CCI.

Despite early Remington ads, these Nylon guns do have to be disassembled and cleaned occasionally.

#7 ·
My aunt had one for years along with a gallon pickle jar full of rattlesnake rattles that she harvested with it. Don't know what happened to it but I'd like to have it. I've seen a couple on the used gun rack at Cabelas but they were all $300+.

#10 ·
A good cleaning is definitely a good idea, but DON"T lube it! The Nylon receiver is 'self lubricating', and any added oil will only gum it up.
My chromed Nylon 66 Apache Black is a bit rough - some pitting on the barrel exterior - but a deadly accurate little rifle. Very reliable. It was made in the 70's.
My 87-made Mohawk Brown looks much better, but has a couple minor reliability issues.

There is a Nylon 66 users group on Yahoo dot com - check them out. Lots of good info and pics there. Also, the Remington forum on RimfireCentral dot com as a bunch of dedicated Nylon owners. Someone can steer you towards one.
Of course, Gunbroker and GunsAmerica are good sources.

#11 ·
I would take it easy with any of the harsher cemical cleaners on the nylon 66
i use standard hoppes 9 spareingly just to not deteriorate the older nylon.
my 66 has been reliable with some ammo but not all.
the heavy waxed ammo doesnt allways feed with reliability
the trunciated cone "yellowjacket" ammo has been good for my gun
what may help is to dissassemble your magazine tube and clean the interior.
that has helped my old gun a lot too.
make shure the mag tube spring is not gotten weak also

finding a black/crome rem nylon 66 will be a trick
good luck.

#13 ·
Field stripping to clean isn't too hard - it helps to have the dissaembly book though! And don't go pulling the wee bits off the receiver section! :burnout:
I swapped the barrels, reciever covers and stock/actions on mine once - had the range 'experts' in a tizzie, thinking I had a super-rare Mohawk Brown Chrome! Hehehehe. :scool:

#15 ·
Hello, NTG! Welcome to G&G!

I find that rimfire guns can be very picky about ammo - take anythree rifles of the same make and model, and they might each prefer a different brand and type of .22LR ammo!

But, in general, I find CCI Minimag the best overall moderate-priced .22LR ammo, and works well in all action types.
Lately, Winchester Experts have been working best for my in cheaper bulk packages.

Generally, the semi-auto guns seem to prefer a plated round nose bullet - they feed better. The flatter-nosed hollow points seem better in bolt-actions, where feeding by manual operation is more forgiving.

Try smaller 50-round boxes of a wide variety of ammo, and see what your rfle prefers. It'll tell you what it likes. :)

#16 ·
Hey guys, I was given a Remington by my husband. I don't know what type of ammo to purchase for it. If someone can give me a clue I would appreciate it. And no, it is not for sale. He's had it since he was very young and in the Scouts.

A good inexpensive .22 is American Eagle. Shoots very well in all the 22's I own.
CCI is pretty spendy for 22's; they are good though.

#19 ·
I have a circa Oct '71 Apache 66 that would go an honest 97% overall. They are going for a premium these days in nice shape. I've owned several Nylon 66s and have not found them to be difficult to disassemble and reassemble, just need to pay attention to what you are doing and follow the instructions in the owner's manual.

I would probably trade mine for an equally nice early (walnut stocked) Remington 582.

I believe the Nylon series Remington rifles were ahead of their time.
Regards,
Rich

#21 ·
#25 ·
I don't know of one near Tennessee, but I just saw one at Collecter Rifle & Ammo in Hopewell Junction in New York. You might want to call them and see if they will sell it to you. Scotty probably will if you have an FFL at your end to receive it.

#26 ·
The Remington Nylon 66 is one great rifle!!! Most owners that you come across will not be willing to sell it. I won my 66BD in a game of 9-ball more than 10 years ago and it has been a reliable and straight shooter ever since. It's in decent shape, with a little bit of rust on the receiver cover and a broken rear site screw. I mounted a little 2-7x32 BSA scope on it (since the photo) and the rifle is very accurate at 100 yards or less.

Check out this great website dedicate to the Nylon 66: NylonRifles.com

-Renegade
Renegade's BS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.