Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, just got back from the range earlier and had to dive right into the research due to some unsavory words from a couple "experts" about Remington pistol ammo.

I recently bought a decent amount of Remington 45 and 9mm during a sale and just now got around to taking it out to the range. A couple of the range officers noticed it and tried to advise to me that is horrible ammo with very little consistency and that its dirty. One also stated that something with Remington UMC primers has ruined his breech face.

I haven't found anything online suggesting that its awful ammunition, but maybe their quality control isn't perfect with bullet weights. A lot of people say its just dirty. As range ammo I don't necessarily need it to be super clean or perfect, just not destructive to the gun itself.

what are your guys take on Remington ammo? Would you consider it worse than WWB or American Eagle?

·
Banned
4,689 Posts
I’ve used it without issues.

Reactions: minkowski1552

·
Premium Member
9,893 Posts
Easily half the ammo I've shot or laid up in 9mm has been Remington. Can't speak for anyone else, but it's always been reliable and no dirtier than WWB, AE or Aguila. Cleaning seems mostly carbon and not a lot of unburned powder from 3.3" to 16" barrels.

Did the fellow say how the Remington ruined the face of of a steel breech?

My completely personal opinion- shoot the stink out of that Remington. Again, this is just personal observation, but I've never had an issue with it from Springfields, Bersas, Rugers, Glocks, Sigs, Kel-Tec, Taurus or M&Ps.

In fact, got a .45 Shield in lay away and an ammo box getting filled with .45 FMJ in anticipation. Several boxes are Remington. Got no hesitation to use it what so ever.:)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did the fellow say how the Remington ruined the face of of a steel breech?
He said the primers caused extensive pitting, but nothing about how they did it. online iv found a couple forums regarding Winchester primers cracking and causing it. But nothing about Remington doing the same thing. I'm almost certain the ONLY .45 ammo iv ran through my 1911 is Remington and after a thousand rounds or so iv had no issues.

·
Premium Member
9,893 Posts
He said the primers caused extensive pitting, but nothing about how they did it. online iv found a couple forums regarding Winchester primers cracking and causing it. But nothing about Remington doing the same thing. I'm almost certain the ONLY .45 ammo iv ran through my 1911 is Remington and after a thousand rounds or so iv had no issues.
Got a couple buddies who are gunsmiths. I'll ask if they've ever heard of this, just for s & g.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,583 Posts
The pitting thing sounds like BS. I've shot pretty much everything through my Glocks and have never had an issue. It's hard to figure out how they would do this. I've personally never seen it happen and have shot a great deal of centerfire.

Now if it comes to Wolf and 9mm I have seen issues with failures to ignite, dirty powder, and the fact that steel cases can expand in revolvers making it almost impossible to get them out (like really really hard).

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I don't care for the UMC label; I have noticed consistency issues with that at times. I've never had a complaint with green box though. I would buy it before AE. Most of my current pistol ammo stock is PMC or Prvi Partizan.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't care for the UMC label; I have noticed consistency issues with that at times. I've never had a complaint with green box though. I would buy it before AE. Most of my current pistol ammo stock is PMC or Prvi Partizan.

I love PPU! That and S&B equate to roughly 75% of my 9mm and .380 ammo.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
The only issue with ammo that I have ever had was Tula. I will never shoot that crap again. I just don't see how a primer can ruin a breech face. The steel in a breech face is so much harder than the primer and it is non corrosive. Maybe he has some issue with Remington due to the recent bankruptcy or politics. Shooting a gun will get it "dirty". Unique powder is worse than Win231 and so on. But, clean it when you are done.

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
I used to shoot a LOT of UMC yellow box and Remington green box ammo, until I started reloading my own. I never had any troubles with either of them. Of course, that was 18 years ago. I'm sure they have had ample opportunity to debauch their products since then. Remington's recent bankruptcy didn't happen by accident.

Reactions: minkowski1552

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Yep , I order & stock a lot of Monarch ammo in 380, 9mm and .45 from Academy Sports online . It's all head stamped Privy / PPU & you can't beat the price, especially when orders over $35 ship for free via FedEx :) .

The only Remington ammo that I've had issues with are the notorious Thunderdud .22LR shells. The only good thing I can say about them is they're consistent. You're guaranteed 2-3 Duds in every loaded magazine :eek: ...

Reactions: PushPuller

·
Banned
4,689 Posts
I haven’t found T-Bird any more duddy than others. I always expect 1-2 rounds per box of any .22LR to need 2-3 primer strikes to fire.

Just another reason no one shoud rely on .22 for SD.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only Remington ammo that I've had issues with are the notorious Thunderdud .22LR shells. The only good thing I can say about them is they're consistent. You're guaranteed 2-3 Duds in every loaded magazine :eek: ...
Ahhhh, this brings me back to when my mom used to live on a sheep farm. Every summer id visit for several weeks and my dad would give me a brick of them EVERY year. After a couple years I had an old Crown Royal bag stuffed with duds. Once I ran out of the good stuff id go to the bag and try my hand at getting some to fire. That old Sears .22 single shot was shooting as fast as I could reload it from the ages of 10-14.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
I HATE S&B, but mainly because I reload. I kept getting separated cases in my Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk.1. I was thinking I had a bad chamber until I noticed that every single separated case was S&B brass, that no other manufacturer's brass separated in that gun. So I think their brass sucks.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I too have shot a lot of Remington ammo. 9mm, 45 ACP, 38 Special, 357 mag. No issues with any of it.
In fact, during 0zeros 1st four years - when 22 LR was plentiful and 9mm, 45 ACP and other bigger bore pistol ammo was scarce - I could find only Remington jacketed hollow points in 45 ACP. I forget who ran the tests but I recall that it compared favorably to the high end, $1 per round, defensive ammo. That green box stuff all shot just fine.
(I usually load factory ammo for CCW purposes.)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts