Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to an auction today just to see this gun, it was listed in "as new" condition, and I believe they were truthful. I could not even tell if this gun had ever been fired, at all! It was pristine!

One older gentlemen standing next to me told the autioneer before the guns statred selling he would open the bidding at $1200.00 for the Remington Rand 45ACP and it went up from there! The winning bid for it was $1550.00!

I got to spend some time talking with the gentlemen that opened the bidding and he told me he was a B24 pilot in WWII, so even though I didn't place a bid, I got to hear some really fantastic stories from a "TRUE HERO" that spent quite a bit of time in the air over Germany durring some pretty tough times. He was a pleasure and a real treat to speak with!

Now I am not a collector by any means but $1550.00 seemed kinda high to me.

Was it, or was it bought well.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Not really

I would have gone higher if I were there with the money. I feel this is one of those firearms that will be seriously rising in value as it is held over the years.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Then old 1911s

They were just everwhere back in the late 50s I saw them go for $25 maybe not as sweet as the one today but who ever thought they would become so in demand.:)

I just can't say how glad I was to get that WW1 baby in 1965 for $40 it looked like a junked and polished WW2 gun I had it reblued and a new bbl. and bushing installed. I never found out what it really was till the 80s at a local gun show.:sad2:I was spell bound I was trying to get rid of it.:hitwithrock:

I still own it it's the one on the bottom.

1911b.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
They were just everwhere back in the late 50s I saw them go for $25 maybe not as sweet as the one today but who ever thought they would become so in demand.:)
The same can be said for old Colt Single Action Army's, Winchester rifles, Springfield rifles, shotguns, militaria, Harleys, Jeeps, old military vehicles, all kinds of classic vehicles, etc. I paid $1250 for my 1968 Chevelle SS396/4 spd., and $700 for a 1956 Harley Panhead basket case. Those things were cheap and plentiful when I was a kid, who knew they'd go outtasight someday?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,376 Posts
Rondog, you are so right. When I was a kid, I felt like Cassandra, because I could see things; but being a kid, no one would ever listen to me.

Two examples.

A local insurance salvage store (it's very hard to describe) called Building 19 somehow acquired a pair of World War II BSA British courier motocycles still in the original packing crates (and original packing grease; cosmoline isn't used only on firearms!). My dad was a master mechanic. I pleaded with him to invest the $800 it would take to buy both of them. I said we could clean them up and get them running and sell them to militaria collectors for at least $1,000 apiece (this was in the 1960s). He wouldn't do it. Do you have any idea what a virgin World War II Beezer is worth today?

When my grandfather died, I was 10 years old. Dad and my aunts and uncle made plans to get together one weekend to clean out the house, haul the junk to the dump and get the house ready to be sold. I pleaded with my dad to bring me along, because I knew there was lots of stuff in that house the kids would consider to be junk that a dealer would consider to be either collectible or antique. Dad wouldn't do it. So I asked him to keep a list of everything they threw out.

When he got back, Dad handed me the list. I settled down in the bedroom with my antiques books and reference guides and an adding machine. Two hours later, I emerged with the list and a roll of adding machine tape.

"Dad, this is how much money you and my aunts and uncle threw away this weekend. Congratulations."

His eyes nearly popped out of his head. It totaled just under $50,000.

You have to know what you are looking at, where to market it, and be able to do anything required to make items saleable. I find it ironic that then as now, when I can see what's going to be valuable in the future, I haven't the money or position to do anything about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts