Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All I am hoping to find out some info on a Remington Rand INC,Syracuse,N.Y.U.S.A. 45.This pistol is Nickel or Chrom plated,has "NO" other marking,except for a P in 2 places.The clip has US on the bottom and inside of the grip is a #12 and a star.I believe it to be a proto type of the 1943 model.All other pistols that I have seen have some other marking,serial # US issue,etc.The pistol is in near mint condition and I think that it has never been fired.I was hoping to find out what the value of this pistol might be.:feedback:

·
I don't take prisoners...
3,885 Posts
Sounds like the gun was sanitized, and buffed, then nickeled. It is worth far less than a regular Rem Rand. If it has no serial number it may be illegal, unless one could prove it was made that way.GI magazines did not have a 'US' on them, grip numbers are common place for GI grips. As an owner of 2 Rem Rands, I would say "stay away".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like the gun was sanitized, and buffed, then nickeled. It is worth far less than a regular Rem Rand. If it has no serial number it may be illegal, unless one could prove it was made that way.GI magazines did not have a 'US' on them, grip numbers are common place for GI grips. As an owner of 2 Rem Rands, I would say "stay away".
Hi Again=I spoke to the person who has the pistol and this is what he told me.His grandfather worked for the Remington Rand company in Syarcuse,in late 30th's and thru out the WW11 war untill he retired.When he gave the pistol to his son he told him that it was one of a few 100 that was given to some of the employee's and certain other poeple.Having cked the internet I have found that this might just be true.I found that there was a number of pistols given out to certain employees and some poeple of special concern.The article also stated that those pistols DIDNOT have any serial# or USA marking on them.As for the plating,the person said it was this way when his father recieved it from his father.I am not sure but it is possible that the company had a plating line and his grandfather had it plated or the company did have some of those that were given away plated.The letter P is in 2 different places and cking on this,I have found that it is an official military marking also.IF all this is true,which I believe it to be,would this pistol be worth having and being one of only a few hundred what might a fare price to pay for it???:feedback:

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
IF that information is in fact the case... you'd be certifiably insane to sell it. Is there any documentation on with it?

Secondly... without a serial number... it would be illegal, even to sell. Put it away.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
As a collector and appraiser it is unfortunate that the gun is what it is...Collectors want True, Marked ,correct Military Guns, which this is NOT one of.
I would place only shooting Value on the gun since it was an In-house chromed gift gun so Value would be about $400.00...
"P" stamps are usually proof Marks from Testing...Without a Serial Number on the frame, it would be Hard to even say if the Frame was a Remington Rand, and without documentation or "Provenance" it could be a Gun somebody just put together from parts and had it chromed...Stories about guns without Pictures and paperwork to back it up are just that...Stories!
I hope this Helps.
Rich

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
As a collector and appraiser it is unfortunate that the gun is what it is...Collectors want True, Marked ,correct Military Guns, which this is NOT one of.
I would place only shooting Value on the gun since it was an In-house chromed gift gun so Value would be about $400.00...
"P" stamps are usually proof Marks from Testing...Without a Serial Number on the frame, it would be Hard to even say if the Frame was a Remington Rand, and without documentation or "Provenance" it could be a Gun somebody just put together from parts and had it chromed...Stories about guns without Pictures and paperwork to back it up are just that...Stories!
I hope this Helps.
Rich
Exactly Moose... this animal needs it's paperwork to be anything more than shooter. Maybe with a little bit of looking and luck ... you may find something or someone at Remington who may know something? There HAS to be some markings... maybe internally?

IF I were the owner... and I had that story to go on... maybe get some names or contacts? It behooves you to do so ...

·
I don't take prisoners...
3,885 Posts
I am going to stay away from the 'mint' word since so many evaluate a gun as mint when it is not. A very good gun with 90% finish and with all the right original parts would approach $1000. Better conditioned guns would go for more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts