Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son wants only one thing for X-mas this year: 12 gauge auto, capable of using 3 1/2" mags. Went to local dealer and they had a Rem spr453 @ reasonable price. Second breath he said " it's a real POS ", only he did'nt use abreviated verbage. He then steered me towards the 11-87 synthetic stock mag shotgun. Looked and felt much better made ( much higher price ) I currently own the Premier wood and am very pleased with it. Anybody out there have any first hand experience with the spr453 ?????

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
A dealer I dealt with years ago advocated the Shotgun that became the Rem SPR 453, back when it was imported by EAA.

Why the dealer would tell you his own merchandise was a POS is beyond me. My thought is he think's you're good for more money than that and wants you to go with the more expensive one.

Everything I've heard about them is good, except that you can't swap out barrels and no rifled ones are available. If that doesn't matter to you, I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
A dealer I dealt with years ago advocated the Shotgun that became the Rem SPR 453, back when it was imported by EAA.

Why the dealer would tell you his own merchandise was a POS is beyond me. My thought is he think's you're good for more money than that and wants you to go with the more expensive one.

Everything I've heard about them is good, except that you can't swap out barrels and no rifled ones are available. If that doesn't matter to you, I'd say go for it.
Thanks for your thoughts on this. He claims they had sold it to the customer NIB, and he ( customer ) had returned it with the complaint that " it would not cycle most of the time". The dealer had not had time to check it out to even verify complaint. P.S. Your theroy of wanting more expensive model may have some merit to it. I had just bought a SWEET little Weatherby 28 SXS for $2400.00 OTD just 2 months earlier; and am considering buying the new Weatherby XXII from them now.

Update: Went to Gander Mountian today and handeled about every manufacture out there that has synthetic 3 1/2" 12 auto; WOW is the Super Black Eagle II fit the ticket, but at a cost, still thats the one I'm going with. Whats 500.00 more over the useful life span of the firearm: 500/30; in my opinion thats a fair return on your investment!!!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Have a friend that has a Remington spr453 and loves it. i know he is tough on a shotgun so it must be a good one.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I own an SPR310 (Over Under 12ga). Same company (Made by Baikal, marketed by Remington). I think the gun is of awesome quality. It is balanced wonderfully, and aims true.

The SPR453 was going to be my 2nd choice if I couldn't get a 310. I have never shot one, but I know for a fact that it's an incredibly solid gun. It isn't as pretty as the 11-87, but I'd put money on it that it's more rugged.

Don't believe me? Watch this: http://www.svmag.com/test_baikal.wmv

I've heard that they might take a 50ish rounds to break in, but after that they are incredible firearms.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SRP 453...just came from the range

I tried recently got a brand new spr453. I used to have an Remington 870 express and loved it. It was a dream to use right out of the box. The spr however...IS a POS! Be glad you didn't buy one! Here is what I don't like:

The so called bluing on the barrel isn't very durable and seems as though it needs a second coat. I sliced my thumb deep, almost to the point of needing stitches when my thumb slipped off the bold lever and slid up the opening where the bolt slides. It has the ridge from the cutting in the maching shop still but is just finished over. Very poor worksmanship...cheap! I also was dicouraged how I coulnd't hit hardly any clays with it. I tried a second trip and...same thing. This time, I walked over to two guys shooting in the next section. I noticed that they where hitting 90% or better of their targets and asked if they would try out the spr and give me feedback. Both dropped to hitting less than 10% and thought the gun was lacking. I was happy to know it wasn't just me but also dissapointed that I paid over $350 for it.

I have owned 2 Remingtons before this and loved them both. If any Remington Execs are reading this...Please spare the good name of Remington and issue a formal apology to everyone you sold these things to.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Well, first, let it be known that Remington isn't making these shotguns, it's Baikal.

That being said, every Baikal firearm that I've held seems to be incredibly rugged and well made. If you're that upset with your SPR453, take it up with Remington. They put their name on it, and will now back it with their customer service.

FYI, the SPR-453 is known for reliability and durability. The accuracy issue might be a simple fix. The sharp edges might need machining to fix though.

·
Registered
433 Posts
i have heard that these come packed in cosmolene, is that true? I would hate to get one and then spend all day trying to get the cosmo out of it. If i wanted cosmo i would get a mosin. Oh and Common, I try to avoid Gander for guns. They always seem 5% higher than the local shop and dont negotiate any. just my 2cents

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
My SPR310 had a bit of cosmo on it. It wasn't thick at all, and was incredibly easy to remove.

You get to take the gun apart, which for me is a plus...I love seeing how things work :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All. I bought one of these just before Christmas this year. I was on the buds gun shop sight and was just pricing autoloaders for a future purchase when I saw the spr453 listed for 300.00. I did some research. wieghed in thr pros and cons and watched a video on youtube where a guy dumps river bottom mud on it and shows how rugged it is.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bA5JFrHRTU[/ame]

I bought the 24 inch barrel with 4 chokes. The instructions said to break it in using 1 1/4 loads or heavier. Being of the male persuation who reads direstions anyway. I used 1 oz target loads the first time, it cycled only once and the next 25 rounds I hade to manualy cycle the shotgun to load the shell. It did hit the clays though. Took it home cleaned it and the time I used 1 1/4 oz remington nitro 2 3/4 and 3 inch winchester. The autoloader cycled perfect every time for the next 100 rounds or so. My shoulder did not fare so well though. Next I used the 7/8 oz target loads and it cycled everytime.

There is a breakin period with this firearm. I am very happy with it and I now have about 500 rounds through it with out a single problem.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I also bought this gun about the same time as you I followed the directions and put about 200 1 1/4 through it to break it in, never had 1 problem. Yesterday I took it out I put a 2 3/4 followed by a 3 1/2 followed by a 2 3/4 target load in and it cycled perfectly through them great gun for the money I think...

·
Premium Member
4,009 Posts
the only complaint i've had with these guns, was people not reading the directions and doing the break in. of all of them I have sold, I have not yet had one come back needing service. I've had to make copies of the break in procedure and yellow highlight what they failed to read, but thats all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts