Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody else had a problem with this ammo? Remington UMC 9mm 115gr FMJ in the green box?

I bought a box at Wally World a while back when they were out of the Winchester White Box 100 rd. packs. Took the Remington UMC to the range and experienced problems that I have never had before: jams (rounds failed to chamber, stuck pointed up at the chamber), slide not locking back after final round fired, etc. Tried other rounds (S&B, Federal HydraShok) on the same trip - no problems! I'd never had a problem before EVER in this Ruger P95DC so I made a mental note to myself: avoid the Remington UMC green box.

Fast-forward a coupla months. I find myself in Dick's Sporting Goods needing some 9mm target rounds and they don't have much to choose from except the Remington UMC green box AND it's on sale... hmmmm... maybe I just had bad luck the first time around. What the heck, buy a box of 50 and see how it goes.

Took it to the range this morning and had the SAME darn problems, the exact same type of jams and the slide not locking open after final round. Fired Federal HydraShok, S&B FMJ and even a coupla clips of Winchester Silver Tip HPs - absolutely NO problems!

Don't know if it is just a fluke, anyone else had similar experience? And this most recent time it wasn't just my Ruger that didn't like the Remington UMC, my CZ75BD jammed some too.

No more Remington UMC for me. YMMV.

Jay1958

·
Registered
570 Posts
My only experience with UMC has been in .380 with my CZ83, and it likes them. I'll have to give the 9mm stuff a run and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Never had a problem with it in my XD. I must mention that I have not shot a lot of it as I usually use WWB or home rolled stuff. The few boxes I have bought have cycled fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
After buying my Taurus 24/7 9mm DAO pistol, I tried various brands of factory ammo in it, plus my own handloads. The only ammo that didn't function smoothly in this particular pistol was MagTech range ammo. About every other round failed to fully chamber, which necessitated tapping the slide closed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I got a box of FMJ .380 and a box of .32ACP Remington green box rounds for my birthday yesterday, so I will post a range report and see how it does in those calibers. Hopefully I won't have the same problems I experienced in 9mm.

You know you must shoot a lot when most of your birthday presents are target rounds, and the rest are hollow points...! of course, that was what I asked for. I decided I had enough ties, socks and cologne. ;)
Jay1958

PS. I didn't ask for Remington green box, I actually asked for Winchester FMJ 9mm, .45ACP or .32ACP, or the same calibers in Federal Hydra-Shok, but oh well. I appreciate whatever anyone gives me. And mostly I did get the Winchester.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update - is it just me or what?

I took the Remington .32ACP 'green box' target ammo that I got for my birthday to the range today.

Yep, you guessed it - problems! I put 25 rounds thru my Zastava M70 and 25 rounds thru my newly acquired CZ70. I had two stovepipes out of 25 rounds in the Zastava and 5 jams in 25 rounds in the CZ70 - no, I wasn't limp wristing, etc.

I also put 25 rounds thru each pistol of S&B .32ACP FMJ. The Zastava functioned flawlessly. The CZ70 had two jams.

Then I started putting Magtech .32ACP LRN thru the CZ70. I had meant to put 25 rounds thru each pistol again, but after putting the first 25 rounds thru the CZ, I was so happy that I didn't have any jams thru 25 rounds in the CZ that I decided to keep putting them thru the CZ to see if it would jam. Nope! 50 rounds of the Magtech LRN (lead round nose) thru the CZ with no jams.

I am happy to report that both pistols were very accurate out to 35 feet with all three types of ammo.

I don't know what it is with me and the Remington green box, but I won't be buying any more Remington ammo. Maybe I'm just unlucky with it, but why tempt fate?

Jay1958

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anybody else had a problem with this ammo? Remington UMC 9mm 115gr FMJ in the green box?

I bought a box at Wally World a while back when they were out of the Winchester White Box 100 rd. packs. Took the Remington UMC to the range and experienced problems that I have never had before: jams (rounds failed to chamber, stuck pointed up at the chamber), slide not locking back after final round fired, etc. Tried other rounds (S&B, Federal HydraShok) on the same trip - no problems! I'd never had a problem before EVER in this Ruger P95DC so I made a mental note to myself: avoid the Remington UMC green box.

Fast-forward a coupla months. I find myself in Dick's Sporting Goods needing some 9mm target rounds and they don't have much to choose from except the Remington UMC green box AND it's on sale... hmmmm... maybe I just had bad luck the first time around. What the heck, buy a box of 50 and see how it goes.

Took it to the range this morning and had the SAME darn problems, the exact same type of jams and the slide not locking open after final round. Fired Federal HydraShok, S&B FMJ and even a coupla clips of Winchester Silver Tip HPs - absolutely NO problems!

Don't know if it is just a fluke, anyone else had similar experience? And this most recent time it wasn't just my Ruger that didn't like the Remington UMC, my CZ75BD jammed some too.

No more Remington UMC for me. YMMV.

Jay1958
Yes. Went to the range November 12, 2006 with two Beretta 92's, one was a new Vertec model. Never had a problem before. Shot 200 rounds of Remington UMC 9mm 115gr in the white and green box of 100 rounds each. 90% stove pipes in both pistols. Only had one clip that did not require racking the slide to clear the jam. It was all I had so I got my practice in but it was very frustrating. Must be a bad batch. I will not buy it for these pistols again.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Daytripper! I am glad to hear that it is not just me! I appreciate your posting your results.

Best regards,

Jay1958

Yes. Went to the range November 12, 2006 with two Beretta 92's, one was a new Vertec model. Never had a problem before. Shot 200 rounds of Remington UMC 9mm 115gr in the white and green box of 100 rounds each. 90% stove pipes in both pistols. Only had one clip that did not require racking the slide to clear the jam. It was all I had so I got my practice in but it was very frustrating. Must be a bad batch. I will not buy it for these pistols again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problems Also

Just shot 75 rounds of UMC Ammo in my Springfield XD Subcompact 9MM. Had to clear five jams. I WILL NEVER BUY THIS AMMO AGAIN. Price isn't everything. Had no problems with the hydoshocks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have been shooting at the range with my Glock 19 9mm, using Blazer 9mm 115gr. I estimate over 1000 rounds, plus has been fired since I 1994. A majority it has been stored for 12 years, while being stationed overseas. The only major issue with blazer, gun eats the ammo up. No jams.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Jay1958 If it made a Ruger jam it must be bad stuff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Remington 115gr. UMC "green box"

i was having the same problems with my KP95. I talked with a few people at the range and i just had to chock it up to a low powder load in the rounds. I took a few of the boxes i picked up out there and had the same problems with both boxes. Jam and problems feeding. i even had a problem with a rounds not even trying to feed into the chamber. i bought some cheap reloads from the range and they fired fine. definitely recommend buying only a few boxes and trying them out before you stock up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remington UMC 9mm

Oh, yes I've had problems with the yellow box Remington UMC 9mm (from bass Pro). Last saturday my wife and I went to the range so she could shoot her new Beretta PX4 Storm, I had my Ruger P95. She had no problems with the UMC's... BUT my Ruger did, Smoke stacks, mis loading and the slide would not stay back after the last round on all three magazines. I cleaned the gun at the range and it didn't solve the problem. I've one box left and I'll 'suffer' thru it this weekend. As the raven said..."Never More". You have been a great help!

·
Сергей Иванович Мосин.
2,555 Posts
I don't use it. WWB ftw.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have some I bought about two years ago. Haven't used it extensively. I'll give some a try this week. A lot of people are unimpressed with Rem. ammunition. A lot of shooters say it is really dirty. That's certainly true with there .22LR. My favorite center-fire pistol ammo is Fed. Am. Eagle.

·
Сергей Иванович Мосин.
2,555 Posts
The only UMC stuff that I have used with no issues is the .25ACP and the .38 LRN...

I suspect it worked in my .25 because my Browning eats everything, and in the .38 because it's a revolver. It's a lot dirtier than anything else I've ever used in either pistol.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
i havent used any recently, but the stuff i used to get worked fine in my witness .45. ive got a couple of the yellow boxes sitting around, ill have to pull 50 rounds from each and see how the function. i also just got a box in .380 for my buddy, ill have to ask him how they functioned in his bersa.
it seems quite a few ruger pistols have a problem with this ammo.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
well, i finally got around to testing the year old umc yellow box.
the 50 rounds fuctioned great. i used my eaa witness .45, a new mag and the one that came with the pistol. shot 10 rounds as fast as i could jerk the trigger outta either mag, let my buddy shoot 10 outta eaither mag, and i one handed a group to finish the container. no problems. i would suspect that the quality control might have slipped over the last 8 months, as they are trying to pump out ammo as fast as they possibly can to fill orders.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts