close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Remington Woodsmaster 740 30-06 Bolt Carrier Jams

Discussion in 'Remington' started by Jayson Magnav, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Hello I would like some advice on what is making my gun do this. I have a Remington Woodsmaster 740 that I inherited from my grandfather that has passed away about a year ago. This gun has not been shot much at all in it's life according to my dad and uncle. This gun has not been shot for at lease the past 10 years. When I acquired this gun I took it apart and cleaned it because I know it has not been cleaned for a while. So I bring it to my local range and shot a few clips. On about the 17 th shot the action jammed all the way back. The casing ejected and I pulled the clip out. I took the trigger Assembly out and I can see that the bolt carrier tried to lock while going forward in the full rear position. The lugs on the bolt were turned to the lock position like when the action is all the way forward. Any answers on why this problem would be very much appreciated. I would love to use this gun for many years to come.

2. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I can only venture a guess. Hopefully one of our resident gunsmiths can lend advice. To me it sounds like a loose part or something.

Great guns and that one has a wonderful story to go with it.

3. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    This is a common problem with the Remington semi-auto long action rifles. I get a lot of these in my store and the first thing everyone asks is, "Have you shot it and does it jam?"

Not for sure, but I think it has something to do with the long bullet and the action springs being a little strong. But I'm no gunsmith, so seek professional help.

4. Thanks for the information.