replacement barrel

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by akjunkie, Sep 11, 2002.

1. akjunkie

akjunkie Guest

will a chinese 16inch ak barrel fit a Milled bulgarian slr-95 receiver? tapco has them for .....$100? it be nice to have a spare.

will steel core ammo cause the barrel to wear faster? if so, why? since the bullet is copper jacket with a steel core.

i got some chinese ammo for the AK and FN FAL. i am afraid to use it fearing it will damage my barrel.

all info appreciated, thanks.

2. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

You sure the ammo is steel cored, not steel cased? Steel cored 7.62x39mm is very hard to come by, and illegal to produce. If you have some, I'd recommend saving it.

Concerning barrel wear, I think most steel core bullets have a steel CORE, but have lead between it and the copper. So I'd say you're safe there.

3. akjunkie

akjunkie Guest

ammo purchase

hmm, i got a dumb question. i see alot of 5.56 Nato SS109 with the green tip for sale all over the place.. made in Canada, US, FN, etc... arent they steel core? they still produced and sold at local gunshops and gun shows.

4. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

steel core ammo is not illegal, just the stuff that Klinton had banned from import from the CHI/COM's. remember him??? banned ammo, SKS. norinco 1911 clones, AK types m-14/1a clones, magazines. just about every firearm that they sent over. something about showing the CHI/COM's we wouldn't stand for unfair trade practices. just great he picked on the smallest segment of CHI/COM imports, while a billion BARBIE dolls, and cheap VCR's, and scads of other goods flood our shores, and stores!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :fuss:

5. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

There is a law banning the manufacture of "armor piercing ammunition", but it's another one of those screwy laws that completely redefines a term. It defines such ammo as what is used in a pistol, plus 223, 7.62x39mm, 308, 30 carbine, and I forget what else. And the law applies differently to FFLs than to ordinary people, where FFLs can't sell it but we can.
    Specifically exempt from this law is 30-06 AP and the specific SS109 223 cartridge.

6. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

armor piercing is diffrent than steel core. so please tell us more about this law. is it federal or a penna. law???:confused: