Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard would it be to put a new barrel on a sprigfield 1903A3? What is involved. Take into account I am not a gunsmith. How much would a gunsmith charge? (rough estimation)

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Please don't . . . .

This is a job for a professional as it involves headspacing,
lots of torque, and a learned hand. Please find a gunsmith
with whom you are comfortable and let the job be done
to assure a high quality outcome. Whatever you pay it
is cheaper in the long run. Those of us without the
equipment, gauges, and expertise simply should not
get into barrel changing.

·
I don't take prisoners...
3,885 Posts
It should be done by a competent gunsmith. The barrel will cost you $75 to $120, and a gunsmith would charge about $100.Alot depends on your success in finding an appropriate or new bbl, and a smith that is reasonable.

·
Banned
98 Posts
"...there is a metal rod welded inside..." Is there a spot weld where the barrel goes into the receiver too? If so, it was DP'd(Drill Purpose). Rifles were DP'd for a reason. Usually due to excessive wear or something else that made them unsafe to shoot. DP rifles are not good for rebuilding.
If there is no spot weld, any smithy who has the action wrench can change the barrel.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't answer the question because there is no rifle. Originally I was toying with the idea of fixing a decommisioned rifle. I have NOT started the project in any way. After doing more research I decided NOT to go through with the idea. It is too hard and most likely illegal. I think it will be better to find a sporterized rifle and restore it.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
The .03A3 is a little difficult to change barrels on because it uses a goofy thread and recessed extractor.Just a vice and action wrench isnt going to get it on this one.I've done a few.You better get a book before you start.Being a machinist will help.I am not but I can get help if I need it,and I did. sam.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
I agree with Sam. Sounds like a lot of work to me!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts