Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have a mauser k98 MOD. 08 34 30 i need a new trigger for it its been sporterized to 22-250 and im looking to finish it up soon if the safety is engaged if i pull the trigger and disengage the saftey the gun will fire
Thnx guys

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
Sounds like you may need to replace the cocking piece . I'd recommend you pick up a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's book "The Mauser Bolt Actions" for an explanation. Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: PAPA G and rando

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
Like JR said. The trigger holds the small cocking piece back. It may have a worn corner on the cocking piece and slipping off. They are easy to find and cheap. Not hard to disassemble the bolt but you need to watch a video if you never did it before. Plenty of vids on U-Tube. Is it the military trigger or an aftermarket trigger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like JR said. The trigger holds the small cocking piece back. It may have a worn corner on the cocking piece and slipping off. They are easy to find and cheap. Not hard to disassemble the bolt but you need to watch a video if you never did it before. Plenty of vids on U-Tube. Is it the military trigger or an aftermarket trigger.
I believe its the stock trigger i bought the gun used and have not taken it fully apart

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
it sounds like someone done a little bit of filing on either the trigger or the cocking piece.
if the safety was working I would recommend a Huber ball trigger.
but I think in this case I would recommend taking this to a gun smith.
you might need both the trigger release and the cocking piece.
or it could also be the trigger spring has been cut in an attempt to lighten the trigger pull.
[not gonna say how I learned that]

if your not familiar with how all the parts work you could be fixing the symptom and not the cause.

Reactions: jwrauch

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
You can also buy custom aftermarket triggers like Boyds or Timney
I've got a sporterized 98 Mauser that's now a .257 Roberts and I hate the trigger. I see Brownells has a Featherweight trigger for 80 bucks, and it doesn't include a safety. Does this just use the original factory safety??

Reactions: rando

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
The original Mauser safety is actually better than a trigger safety as it totally blocks the firing pin as long as its working correctly !!

Reactions: Paper and rando

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
Excellent!!! Yeah, the factory safety is working perfectly, I just don't care for the 2 stage trigger. I've had this rifle for some time, and its accuracy is very good, but the huge amount of creep, and the weird brake just never got me caring about actually shooting it, let alone hunting with it. A nice single stage, #3 Timney would have me liking this rifle as much as I like my 788 in .243 that's wearing a Timney.
I guess it's time to spend a few bucks and make it the rifle I want to shoot..
Thank you for the quick reply!!!!

Reactions: rando

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
I've got a sporterized 98 Mauser that's now a .257 Roberts and I hate the trigger. I see Brownells has a Featherweight trigger for 80 bucks, and it doesn't include a safety. Does this just use the original factory safety??
Yes you can get them with or without the side safety. The one without the side safety is usually the one I buy and use. You just use the original safety on the back of the Mauser bolt. I also change them also because I drill and tap and mount a scope on all of mine. The military factory safety is up position and hits the scope. For that reason I use Bueller brand side safety replacement. It goes in place and has one screw. I wont use others as they are cheap and had them actually fall out. The Bueller is nice and secure and like $40. I have used the Featherweight triggers. I know Timney makes a featherweight it is called also.

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
Also the Timney trigger are usually adjustable pull. Mine are 2-4lb. adjustable and use an Allen wrench to adjust

1 - 13 of 13 Posts