close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Report: Fake Weapons Pass Screeners

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Great now the terrorist know as well.

Report: Fake Weapons Pass Screeners
    Newspaper Reports One in Four Fake Weapons Get Past Airport Screeners

The Associated Press

ARLINGTON, VA. July 1 — Screeners at 32 of the nation's largest airports failed to detect fake weapons in 24 percent of undercover tests by the Transportation Security Administration last month, USA Today reported.

Citing documents it obtained, the paper said the tests, the first since the agency started overseeing checkpoint screening in February, were done by agents who did little to try to conceal the items as they passed through checkpoints.

It said screeners at Cincinnati, Jacksonville and Las Vegas failed to detect fake weapons in at least half of the tests. At Los Angeles International Airport, there was a 41 percent failure rate, the paper said in Monday's editions.

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

2. Sounds like this is the same old story as before Sept. 11 the only difference is that now the same security companies who were doing a poor job before that date are now doing it with Federal oversight. Several of these security companies had already received numerous fines before Sept. 11th for exactly the same type of flaws.

3. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    They just took the same morons who they hired at min. wage and made them Federal employees with a raise and a lifetime job ala civil servant statutes. So now they cost more, and are nearly impossible to get rid of. But they're still the same morons! Right from welfare to airport security because their welfare was about to run out. I work security part time since I retired to pay for powder, bullets, shot, etc. The people they hire are unbelievably ignorant. I'm suprised they can find their way to work, which they then screw up, daily. Sure make this old autoworker look good though. LOL!

Dave375

4. Actually Dave, I don't know if they made them Federal employees. The last time I checked they had wanted to replace all of the private security people with security personnel who would be federal employees but that plan met with oppostion. I believe what they did instead was to allow the same companies to operate but with Federal oversight. This doesn't make too much sense to me since I believe they were previously being spotted checked by the Feds before and they found some of the same problems they have with them now.

5. wes

wes G&G Newbie

One of the reasons I got out of security work,the company's don't really want a security PROFESSIONAL,just warm bodies. If they get someone who really see's anything they're lucky. And some of the people they hire just want to carry a gun,or look good in the stupid uniforms and THINK they're cops. And it sure don't pay very good. Around here,working on an armored car pays about the same as working at McDonald's.

6. What do you mean by fake weapons. I saw this on the news and still don't get it. Fake what--uzis, rocket launchers,aks,stinger missle--what. I didn't know fake weapons were illeagle. Maybe the screeners are more intelligent than the want to be bad guys.
    Now we have to worry about tangos with fake box cutters.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2002
  7. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

Remember what they (The Senators) said, "When you Federalize - you professionalize".

Whatever!!!!!

Please, how come they are the last to know what a complete bunch of Douche Bags they have become. Everyone knows the Feds are the last people to bring in because all they do is jack things up WAY worse than they were in the first place.

Wow, it's good to be back.

8. Heck-- I thought you were still fishing and running through the woods. Did you catch anything? I don't mean that--did you catch any fish?

9. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

I caught both - and lots of both - thank you very much!!!! WOWOWOW.

I had to take a break - I had to put some fish in the freezer and make room in the cooler for some more frosty pops, Iffn's you know what I mean.
    So far 75 crappie and 23 bass (1.5 - 3.5 lb. class good fillets), the limb lines haven't been producing and I dunno why?

Only two channel cats so far 5lbs & 7lbs respectively.

Trying liver next time, some home-brew stink bait a friend brewed up didn't work for, well, stinck bait!

10. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

well I still don't expect much from them except inconvienence at the gates

11. Crappie--good eating. Bass um um that brings back memories. My grandad loved to crappie fish and my dad was a avid bass fisherman. Limb lines--You talking about yo yo's.--Spring loaded device you hang from a tree limb.

12. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

Heck no, I ain't near that sophisticated. Just plain ol' 50lb test as the main line with 2' leaders of 10lb test hang'n off every 5' with baited hooks. Works for this Kansass hick!

Kind of a pain to wind up without getting it all jacked up. But I spent 3 years fishing out of Juneau for salmon and halibut so I am no stranger to long lines and that experiance helps there.

Crappie is my favorite by far and when your the one who builds the brush pile your the one who knows where the crappie are! - hehehehe

13. Ok I gotcha. The yo yo is designed to set the the hook for you. Man that is something I have always wanted to do--salmon fish in Alaska and smoke it native style.