Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From WKMG channel 6 news.....I read this 2x and could not find firearms listed....not even on a side note....seems falls and fires are the bigg killer...andHotwater heaters cause a lot of injuries....Im sure Sara Brady will explain the true killer..guns of course...were overlooked.

Report: Home Accidents Kill 20,000 Each Year
Falls Most Common Cause Of Deaths, Injuries
Posted: 10:35 a.m. EDT September 26, 2002
Updated: 1:10 p.m. EDT September 26, 2002

Ask Americans where they feel safest, and most will say their own home.

But a new report found that after motor vehicles, the home is the most common location of unintentional fatal injures. Home accidents cause 20,000 deaths a year and nearly 13 million injuries, the study found.

And males accounted for more than 60 percent of all injury deaths, even though more females seek medical attention due to unintentional home injury, according to the study.

The head of the Home Safety Council said people "may not know it, but there are hidden hazards."

The council commissioned the University of North Carolina's Injury Prevention Research Center to conduct the study.

SURVEY

Can you think of dangers in your home?
Yes, there are some things that could be safer.
I'm sure there are some dangers, but I can't think of any.
No, my home is as safe as they come.

Results | Disclaimer

Researchers said falls are the leading cause of death, followed by poisonings and fires. Inhalations -- mostly of smoke -- suffocation and drownings also account for many deaths.

Resulting in more than 20 million medical visits annually, these injuries represent a total cost to society of nearly $380 billion each year, the study found.

Among other findings were that states with the fewest home injury deaths per 100,000 population were Massachusetts, Utah, Maryland, Minnesota and New York. Those with the most were New Mexico, the District of Columbia, Arizona, Mississippi and Wisconsin, followed by the Dakotas, Florida, Pennsylvania, and Washington.

Overall, New England was the safest region. New Mexico saw 17.31 deaths per 100,000, which was almost five times greater than Massachusetts' 3.56 toll.

The lead researcher said a plane crash grabs "headlines in the paper" but the steady trickle of deaths goes unnoticed.

"We take our homes for granted," said David Oliver, president and executive director of the Home Safety Council. "We don't make things safer because for the most part we don't even know the problem exists."

The survey showed 56 percent of Americans could think of nothing they should or would do in the coming year to prevent unintentional injuries or make their homes safer.

"Our findings make it clear that for most people the problem is invisible," Oliver said. "They don mosquito repellent to guard against the well-publicized West Nile virus, while failing to realize that falls and fires at home pose a far greater risk of death."

The good news is that almost all families now have smoke alarms at home, study leader Dr. Carol Runyan said. Problems areas include inadequate railings and banisters, and unsafe storage of medications and other poisons.

Also, few people know if their hot water heaters are set too high, and fewer than half of the one-third of U.S. household with firearms keep them locked up appropriately, according to the study.

The report makes several safety recommendations, including better lighting of entries, halls and stairs, installing a suction mat in bath tubs and making sure smoke alarms work.

Additional Resources:

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,664 Posts
I saw a report once that stated couch and bathtub related deaths far outnumbered gun related deaths. But no calls for registering of couches or bathtubs!!

(Statistically, 40% of all statistics are total BS.)

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
My Bad

Howdy,

Well there ya go, they had to get us evil firearms nuts in there somewhere......

I am among the fewer than 1/3 who keep their firearms locked up "appropriately." Whatever the hell that means....

I am just dumb enough to leave em in a bedroom closet in their cases and one here next to my desk.

Guess I might fall off the ladder while reaching for the lightbulb, as I grab the bare wire and fall on my gun!

A very interesting post though. At least the west nile virus has taken the medias minds of gun control for a little while.........
:cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts