Repurposing old trimmers into knife blade

Discussion in 'Knives/Cutlery' started by rando, Oct 8, 2020.

1. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I had these old rusted hedge and bush trimmers that a neighbor was getting rid of. I saved them for the metal blades. I finally got around to taking them apart and start starting to cut out a fixed blade hunting knife blank. I have too many knives and my one son has a nice collection as I buy him at least one or two a year. I wanted to do something different and make my own for once. I cleaned the metal up and cut the shape with a wheel on my angle grinder. Started to shape it. I ordered the blade stop and bone and also imported antler slab for handle. Got brass pins ordered also and a nice leather sheath. Now a lot of fine grinding and filing and polishing. image1 (20).jpeg image1 (19).jpeg image1 (18).jpeg image1 (16).jpeg . Also have to re heat treat it and into warm oil. Im going slow to not screw it up as its only the second one I ever made.

jwrauch, neophyte, jerry and 9 others like this.
  2. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Looking forward to the end result, rando.

jwrauch, neophyte, jerry and 2 others like this.

3. rando

Maryland
    Thank You Jaison. Been thinking about you and hope you are hanging in there and ok.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    neophyte, jerry, ChaZam and 1 other person like this.
  4. Jaison

Like a champ, buddy. The hard part’s over. Now the work starts.

Thank you for the thoughts, my friend.

5. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

wow! I've made a few knives from old files & band saw blades but never considered hedge trimmer blades. great idea!
    your knife looks good. how long did you make the blade? any ideas on handle material?

jwrauch, neophyte, jerry and 3 others like this.
  6. rando

Maryland
    The blade is exactly 5" . I ordered several things from Jantz Knife maker supply and Smoky Mountain knife works. I ordered two sets of animal Horn imported from Africa and one set of bone. You can buy any type wood and even exotic if you dont mind paying more. I am not using one piece handle. Ii bought the two piece sets of horn and bone. One for each side and route out for metal tang and drill small holes and brass pins in it. The horn and wood and also the man made stuff for handles called scales come in 1 1/4" wide x 3/8 thick each x 5" long. Usually like 18-$24 a set. The brass blade stops are a few bucks up to like $25 for fancy engraved bronze or silver

Ranger4, jwrauch, blaster and 3 others like this.
  7. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Some others here think about you and praying for you too Jaison.

neophyte, rando and Jaison like this.
  8. Jaison

I feel it every day, brother. A man should know when he’s truly blessed.

rando, neophyte, jerry and 1 other person like this.
  9. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Looks like you have a nice start on a knife there Randy. I should do that with my hedge trimmers since I rarely ever use them for their intended purpose...

10. Love the shape you got in the 3rd picture! My first thought was what a great chef's knife! :)

rando, neophyte, jerry and 1 other person like this.
  11. rando

Maryland
    Finally got the knife done I made from old hedge trimmers. Used block of burl wood to make handle and oil finish. The brass hand guard Ii forged from a brass fitting I cut some brass off of. Had to re heat treat it and new edge also. Glued with epoxy and brass pinned.

image1 (22).jpeg image1 (23).jpeg image1 (27).jpeg image1 (28).jpeg

12. Jaison

That’s a beauty, Randy. Really like the handle.

Nicely done, brother!

jerry, neophyte and rando like this.
  13. rando

Maryland
    Jaison I am not sure if you recognized that brass fitting. Its a Rota lock fitting left over from a Copeland compressor. I sawed off the sweat end and was like a ring. I cut it and heated it and flattened it when red hot. I then shaped it on a mini grinder. Thought you would like that for making the brass finger guard out of it.

14. Jaison

LOL

Well, dang if it ain’t!

You finally found a purpose for a rota lock. Ha! Those things never would work right for me. Other techs liked them, but I almost always had leaks.

Good job, sir. It’s inspiring.

rando, jerry, neophyte and 1 other person like this.
  15. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

16. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

That Jantz Supply is a nice place to visit, on I 35 in Davis Oklahoma, about half way between Dallas and Oklahoma City. About 10 years ago took two grandsons there to buy parts to build them knives. Told them they could buy anything they wanted. Had to take that back. They have dozens of exotic materials for handles. Kids wanted Wooly Mammoth from 4 million years ago, or some such. I do not see any of those exotics in their catalog so it may be gone.
    LOL When they bring stuff like that out, they handle it with gloves. It sells by the ounce, of course. They really do have some very exotic stuff in their business, and a store front for customers. I think they said they were the largest such place in the world. Anyway, highly recommend them, very nice and helpful people. Just looked at their site and see they are closed to the public due to Covid. Oklahoma is a small state, about 3.9 million. The Covid is killing about 20-23 per day this last week and climbing. All 3 versions of the flu only killed 85 people in Oklahoma for the 2019 flu season, so each week kills a years worth as compared to the flu, so I guess they are just doing mail order. FWIW

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    rando and jerry like this.
  17. oldgeezerntx

oldgeezerntx G&G Newbie

US
    I have used Jantz Knife Supply before. No complaints. I use Texas Knife Supply and USA Knife Maker as well.

Neat idea on the shears. I like the shape.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Jaison, rando, jerry and 1 other person like this.
  18. Beautiful work! Those old carbon steel blades are some of the best steels for knives..

Jaison, rando, neophyte and 1 other person like this.
  19. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Fine craftsmanship sir. Looks great. Something to be proud of.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

Jaison, rando and neophyte like this.