Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
No files to look at on this post just a question or two about restorations. How many of us have done what I would call a Semi Restoration on your M1 Garand ? What I mean by that is let's say changing a Trigger Group, Op-Rod, Stock, Sling, Gas Cylinder, etc., etc., However, no Bolt or Barrel changing or reparking a Receiver or Barrel. Just the Basic parts that can be easy to change, to make it all SA or WIN, IHC or HRA. Or reduing a Stock i.e. cleaning, steaming dents. Take an SA and changing all the parts to SA, maybe not by REV #, but all SA. At what point is it no longer a Semi Restoration but a complete Restoration? Here's the point, if you had to sell or show off your M1 Garand to someone would you tell them about the changes you have made to the Rifle or just let it stand as is ?
Odd question but I have been seeing a lot of really odd things that guys are doing out there.
Thanks again
Clancy
ps NO!! you can't push 220gr rounds in your Garand

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ed,

Mine is still "as it came"from the dutch army!!!
Although a lot of parts are changed over the time because of wear there are still some mid WW2 parts in it.
Mine is from late 1940 (5 digit serial#) and received a new M1D SA barrel in 1963 (if I'm correct, have to check).
The cheekpad is a K-line (no date and no MRT on it) and did not read about them much.
The only two odd things are a M14 hammer and a 60's op-rod.
Never had the intention to change them though.
The only thing I'm thinking about is to clean the stock but not to "refinish" it.
I've not done it sofar because I'm afraid the leather lace of the cheekpad will not come of in one piece!

Greetz,

Rob

PS: The barrel is from 1-53. It was received at the dutch armory 10-63 and stamped at that time at the front of the barrel. That's why I first mentioned 63 for the barrel date!
If I have to sell (when I'm 70-something I hope) I will tell the buyer what the story is on this gun, but I hope one of my kids will be interested in owning it (and shooting it, not just hang it on the wall as a non-usable thing)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've only started to "collect" Garands a short two years ago. I've bought a "few" and have only thought seriously about restoring two, a Gas Trap repro and a 6.08 SA receiver. Unfortunately the GT project proved to be cost prohibitive and I decided just to sell the rifle. I'm working on the 6.08 now and will probably continue that project for a year or so. I intend to leave the rest as is as they have their own history, provenance and stories they could tell - I'd personally prefer to keep them that way. If I did make changes, I would definately inform a buyer. No such thing as a little white lie when it comes to collecting. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Wish I could "collect" garands here in europe :-(
I own three rifles sofar and I'm looking for a 1911 and then I can put 1 more gun on my permit and it's full.
If there was no limit I could already own two more garands from which one was a .308 version!

Rob

·
Registered
52 Posts
Im currently replacing what I consider to be maintenance items, ejector, extractor springs, firing pin..stuff like that. Have not replaced trigger group, sights, etc. Yes, I would tell the new owner. I also save all the old parts just in case.

John

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
I have always told if it was orignal or restoration and what parts were put in it. The issue comes from the buyer to continue this trend but sooner or later it will be passed off as orignal:34: . If I didnt put it to gether the next guy would probably also as many are done this way to day for the fun of hunting the parts down. It makes the hobby fun in other ways than shooting I feel. Rick B

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gentlemen,
Nice comebacks. Stock Doc your word in the Garand Groups should be taken at 100 % because of your knowledge on the subject. Your work on repairing stocks is the best I have ever seen. I might have one stock that many need some of your work.
Thanks again
Clancy

·
Registered
1 Posts
partial - GC, Rod

I am just looking for a way to recondition or clean-up my gas cylinder and the button on the end of the op rod. New Ones are both hard to find and expensive - at least for my budget !! Anyone know who or where I can get some reconditioning work done on my gas cylinder & rod ???

Thanks - Sling-up and shoot straight !!

RTK

·
Registered
224 Posts
Gas Cylinder and Operating Rod

Rokomo...

Operating rod service: Jim Swartz, 827 Elgin Circle, Pickerington, OH, 43146 / 614-834-4895 / eMail to [email protected]

Gas cylinder rework or remachining? Try Jim on that one, too.

HTH

Ben Hartley

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
I have my old rusty M1 that I got from a guy that got it at a garage sale. I am planning on doing a total rebuild repark and refinsh of it.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
I only have one, that I recently bought. All I know is it's a SA, made in 1943, it has a new barrel on it, and it shoots good! I don't have a clue what parts are "correct" and what aren't, but it seems to work fine so it must have all the parts it needs.

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Hi Mr. Clancy!

Glad you post here too, as I left the CMP forum a while back. I really like perusing the files you post & visit your sites a few times after I read them.

I have 5 CMP SG's, 2 built up from barreled receivers. The other 3 I pretty much just cleaned 'em up & steamed a few dents. They all look great & shoot well. (Still tinkering with the wood fit on 1 build-up).

All are mixmasters, but I got a sweet Greek return HRA SG a few years ago that's correct except for the trigger group (SA). As it functions perfectly, I decided to just leave it as is.

All the Best,
Dave

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Its usually not to hard to tell a restoration as finding original parked pieces that all have the same wear pattern or color is almost impossible

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Don't say impossible Orlando.
I didnt, I said "almost impossible" Yes maybe if you are swapping out just one part but coming up with a correct patina Op Rod and bolt ,trigger assembly all matching is pretty tough although not impossible. Guess what I'm saying is I see these so called "restorations" and they stick out like a sore thumb

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Hi Mr. Clancy!

Glad you post here too.... I really like perusing the files you post & visit your sites a few times after I read them.
Ditto what Dave said!!! I love reading the old documents.

I prefer the mismatched ones. I collect and shoot. I don't have room to keep rifles I can't shoot.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ben Hartley said:

Rokomo...

Operating rod service: Jim Swartz, 827 Elgin Circle, Pickerington, OH, 43146 / 614-834-4895 / eMail to [email protected]

Rokomo:

Jim worked on my oper rod, brought it back in specs, and it works very well. All for
less than $40. Dan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just my two cents but isn't bringing an old girl up to a condition that pleases you the same thing the re-build teams did during and after the wars. They did it for functional reasons mine intent just adds appearance. Now that said, the disbursement of my collection will fall to others in my family when I am gone. I think they will enjoy them as I do, shoot'em, clean'em and and remember those who used them in the defence of our freedoms.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts