Restore or not to restore?

Discussion in 'Antique Firearms' started by Browning, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Browning

Browning G&G Newbie

My dad bought a J. Steven's Model 28B bolt action .410 shotgun last November. It was missing the clip. has slight surface rust. and has a few scratches on the stock.
    I managed to find a clip for it. Now I am wondering would it be worth more if I refinished it or just left it alone. I think a little steel wool and balistol will cure most of the rust. and a slight sand and refinish on the stock will fix it to. Their aren't any deep scratches or anything that would require alot of hard/deep sanding.
    But does this natural patina add to the value, or would it be better restored to close to its natural off the shelf beauty.
    By they way, he gave 25$ for the gun. And its value for a good one by the book's/market is 100-150$. I'd say its in fair condition at the moment.

2. I had one of these shotgun's I traded a single shot 410 for it when I was 13 years old.
    I refinished the stock with Formby's tongue oil stain and then I hand rubed in Formby's tongue oil varnish.
    To be a cheap shotgun after refinishing the Oak stock it looked like a more expensive gun.

I don't know but I would'nt think it will make you a millionare anytime soon LOL
    Go on clean it up, refinish the stock being careful where the wood meet's metal.
    It would make some child a first starter shotgun.

I gave mine to a nephew, years later he hocked it to buy crack.

3. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

you could paint it pimp purple and it wouldn't decrease the value any. they don't have much collector value. just clean it up however you want and enjoy shooting it.

4. Browning

Browning G&G Newbie

Thats a shame AH, hate to hear it! I have seen a few on the web up for auction and have noticed most look way to well not to me resored. Thats the way I was leaning, but wanted to get some input from people how knows the antique firearm market a bit better.
    I just don't want to do anything that will hurt the value of it for years down the road. cause someday it might actualy be worth a bit. Cause face it with the price of .410 shot shells these days, they might be a thing of the past before long. But I guess the "judge" kinda helped it out. I hate that thing!

5. Browning you know what ? Sometimes I forget how old I am LOL I'm 56 so that was a long time ago when I traded my singleshot 410 for the bolt action. So it might be worth a something someday and leaveing it alone might be what you need to do.

Personaly if it was mine I'd put it away with the other guns I don't use...A.H

6. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

Personaly if it was mine I'd put it away with the other guns I don't use...A.H[/QUOTE]
    thats where my ole .410 is. Mike you ain't so old I'm 4 years older than you.

7. Browning

Browning G&G Newbie

Well thanks guys. My dad is pretty dead set on hunting with it. LOL! which I don't figure a new scratch or two will hurt it.

I'd really like to see it the way it come off the store shelf, but I kinda figure someday it will be worth just as much or more if I just leave it alone.

Thanks agin!

8. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Evangelist

I'd hock him and buy the shotgun back. It really pains me to read where someone steals or pawns a gun for drug or beer money. :(