Restoring G3 Threads

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Oct 6, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I have a Centurion 99 and am just plain sick of the muzzle brake. I'm also considering a project that requires a barrel extension.

So what I'd like to do is remove the brake and restore the original threaded muzzle. In order to stay legal, I'd either switch to a thumbhole stock or permanently attach a new muzzle attachment.

But the question is whether it's possible. Is it attached in a manner that would make it impossible to get off? Is there a special method for this?

2. MWDG3

MWDG3 Guest

a few legalities

You might as well forget the thumbhole, it carries the same legal weight on U.S. soil as the standard pistolgrip. Kicker is it's still considered sporting enough for import, ie the HK SL8. You just can't put a flash hider on the SL8 or it becomes an assault weapon. Legally it's a sporting AW feature versus the P/G being non-sporting. :mad:

(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor

Note the above AW reg states the threads have to be designed to accommodate a suppressor. So as long as your threads aren't common AW threads and you don't custom build a suppressor, you're in business. In this scenerio "permanently attached" isn't an issue.

3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I've thought about it and concluded that if I really want to extend the barrel and disable the brake I'll make a sleeve that goes over it and ahead. Perhaps I'll make smaller holes to provide some compensation.