Retain or restore

Discussion in 'Curios and Relics' started by roggom, Sep 28, 2010.

You have a C&R rifle in G- condition 1 of 5000 with a shot out barrel

1. Put it in the safe and revisit the situation in a couple of years

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. Rebarrel and restore it to its former glory

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Sell it and buy another C&R

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. Hi all,

Well I am about 20 rifles into my C&R collection and It has been really fun and exciting. My last purchase has me thinking.

I picked up a Czech 12/33 in G- condition. I checked it out briefly as this was a FTF puchase. After getting home I cleaned out the bore to find it was pretty much shot out. The stock was cracked, but repaired rather nicely, couple of missing screws but all-in-all a neat little rifle for the money.

The cool thing is it is one of 5000 short 7mm made for the El Salvador Gov back in the 30's. The seriel is in the mid 500's and the buttstock tag is present.

So now there are still some correct parts available, and I have no intention on bubbatizing this rifle, but i would really like it to be a shooter. Any metal work would be done by a qualified gunsmith.

So what would you do in this situation.

1. Put the rifle in the safe and revisit in a few years.

2. Rebarrel and restore the rifle to its original glory.

3. Sell it and buy another.

2. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    You said you wanted a shooter. Depending on the cost, I would either fix and shoot or sell and upgrade. Just me though.

3. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I think I would look for an original barrel that was a take off , and re-barrel it.

4. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I like your idea Mooseman. I would rebarrel it if I could find a replacement and headspace and shoot it.

5. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I agree with Moose, re-barrel it and go shooting !!

6. If it is one of 5000 ever made find out what it is worth BEFORE you go changing anything. It probably has collector value.; Ball's book on Mausers describes it as "rare."

You should be able to sell it to a collector and have money left over to get yourself a shooter.

Don't put 300 bucks into a 500 dollar gun to make a 150 buck gun! (Don't know your actual figures but you get the idea...)

7. Now that is excellent advice!! That's what I like about this forum. Wise guys need to be ignored.

8. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Re-barreling it with an Original matching Barrel would actually not be very expensive depending on the price of the barrel and if you could find one.
    This is known as Restoring and if it is done properly it is impossible to tell, and it increases the value as far as condition is concerned.
    The Hardest part is finding a good barrel with a good bore and finish.
    Another option is to look for a better specimen , buy it and sell the other one.
    I believe the stock however is another story because they were serial numbered to the gun...a non matching numbered stock would devalue the collectability ...

9. I have a similar problem with an 1891 Argentine Mauser. It is really nice, intact crest on the receiver, all matching, but the barrel is DONE. I have a 1909 barrel, but the step is not the same, so it would mean altering the stock. If I'm going there, I might as well rebarrel with a .308 barrel and turn it into a sporter.

It has sat for over 2 years. Once committed, the process cannot be reversed, thus inertia.

10. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

There are barrels out there and lots of ground crest Shooters with good barrels. I have one that is full Military , but the crest is ground off and a guy punched his last name into that area...
    I would find an original good barrel , especially if it is full military stocked.
    Destroying an Original Full military stock is ridiculous because it may be more valuable than the gun the way trends are going ...Otherwise leave it alone, or sell it and buy something else...

11. Moose, short of buying a complete rifle with a good bore, it ain't happening. The '91 barrels out there are either as bad or they were removed with no concern for the barrel. I almost bought one a year back, but the toolmarks were so bad it looked like it was used as a pry-bar in a rock quarry.

Every once in a while I look for a good '91, but they are becoming scarce in un-bubba'd condition.

12. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Keep looking...you will find one. I know what you mean about some of these people that used a pipe wrench to remove barrels with....Dumb !
    Ammo for the 7.65 Argentine has become harder to get , so rifles may get easier to find...I'll keep my eyes out for one.

13. Prvi Partizan makes it now.

14. Mmmm,

I voted rebarrel and restore as I see this as a gun that could be enjoyed but not so much as a gun that will ever have investment collector value.

15. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

It depends, if it is worth a bunch of cash as is, I would sell it and get a shooter.

16. 2 Mosins?

17. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

2 Mosins? That's only 160 bucks!

18. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I would stick it in the safe for now and continue to look for a suitable replacement barrel at some point. Seems the rarity factor might protect your invesment even with the bad barrel if you should decide to trade it at some point, if you are not upside down on it already.

PS: More mdl 12/33s at this website but condition sounds pretty rough.

http://www.eiselarmory.com/Guns.htm

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  19. Nope. That's only 100 for 2 M44's. Ask your nephew.

20. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i had a yugo mauser that had a sewer pipe bbl.
    it was so rough it would shred a cloth patch.
    (this is the odd part)
    it shot really well!