Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just wanted to let a few of you know I retired the Nagant today to target shooting only until the others get a kill. Got a large doe with the old rifle from 70 yards. you know those 180grain Partitions at 2750fps sure have an effect on a deer. Went down to where I shot her and there was blood sprayed 4 to 5 feet further past her the exit was 3" in dia. The round hit her with so much energy she was laying over on two sapplings that bent over.

Of course tomorrow is technically the end of our season but I am officially calling it done today.

The picture was taken long before the stock was completed

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
is that the one with the engraving???

·
Registered
934 Posts
A warrioir should be retired with grace and dignity. You know that 'ol stick's got some history behind it Shaun! Do 'er justice!

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BRG3 It has been years I can't remember exactly where the ex wife bought it -- but I can tell you that I would love to get another one for other rifles. the reds in the stock make it look really great I'll take some new pictures of it this week.

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I use a custom round I make -- 180gr Nosler Partition with Lapua Brass

It's illegal to use FMJ for hunting here - and I have been giving away my surplus --don't want to hurt the new westinghouse barrel I put on the rifle several years ago -- hard to believe the rifle started its life as a 91/59 carbine

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,223 Posts
At least ya still got the rifle and the ex is "history" too...:D

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Really nice!

:cool: Mine is a 91 but the long barrel does'nt bother me. Only $40.00! Shoots great and is nice and tight for such an old rifle (it has 1944 stamped on it). don't do any hunting anymore but, it soundes like a good idea!:nod:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts