Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reusing Commie Powder

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by Smoke_44, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Smoke_44

Smoke_44 G&G Addict

After a bad experience with corrosive primers, I’ve decided to pull the bullets and powder from the mil-surp 7.62x54r I have and throw away the nasty berdan primers and steel cases.

My plan is to reload the bullets and powder into boxer brass. If I use the same weight of the powder and C.O.L., the chamber pressure should be safe I would think.

What do you guys think?
    Dutch and jwrauch like this.
  2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Theoretically, should work. Just be very careful.
    A couple years ago, I weighed several 7.62X54r berdan loads, powder and bullets separately. Each showed a high variance in grain weights, making the reason for it's inaccuracy obvious. Very poor consistency.
    jwrauch likes this.

3. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

Possible differences in case thickness may cause pressures to vary?
    jwrauch likes this.
  4. timv

timv G&G Enthusiast

If you know what the powder is, then it's up to you
    I would just use the powder for fertilizer
    jwrauch likes this.
  5. Smoke_44

Smoke_44 G&G Addict

Big Dog- You know, it didn’t occur to me to weigh the charges to see what the variance was. Now I’m curious to see how far off each round really was from the next. I have a few more bullets to pull and I’ll let you guys know what I find....just for FYI.

jerry- I have a single stage press, so my reloading process is really slow and I’m meticulous down to the 10th of a grain and +/- .001 C.O.L. I know case thickness comes into play, but my plan is to crank out some decent target rounds that won’t wreck my bore.

timv- I have no idea what kind of powder it is. All I know is that it came out of the com-bloc surplus stuff I have here. I will probably load a few grains Under whatever they are at right now, just for safety sake. Besides, I’m too cheap to throw away a coffee can full of rifle powder. ha

Has anyone else ever done this?
    jerry and Dutch like this.
  6. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

yeah, it's not uncommon to just pull the bullets re-weigh the powder a little lighter then re-load the same cases.
    using a brass case in place of the steel ones is okay if you compensate for the case variance.
    you know the load was tested to be below a certain pressure you just need to keep it there.
    jwrauch likes this.
  7. Smoke_44

Smoke_44 G&G Addict

How can I be sure to properly compensate for the case variance? Just lower the charge by 10% or what?
    jwrauch likes this.
  8. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Good questions !!
  9. runfiverun

weigh the cases.
    if the brass ones are say 10grs heavier and they weigh about 180 grs. that's @5%
    [you could do a water weight comparison and go that way too but weight is close enough]
    so drop a grain from the average, then drop 5% [or whatever more they weigh if any] and use that as a start point.
    usually we drop 10% and come back up.

in the old days guy's used to buy cases of milsurp ammo weigh out about 20 of the charges and average them.
    then neck size the cases and re-insert a sierra match king on top of a slightly lowered but accurately weighed charge.
    they were called 'Mexican Match' at the shoots and everyone knew pretty much what the load was.
    jwrauch likes this.
  10. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

My mind tells me that the steel cases and the brass cases should be checked for a variation in capacity...
    jerry, EtherialOne and Big Dog like this.
  11. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

And my uber inquisitive and nosey nature wonders what kind of bad experience that you might have had with corrosive primers that couldn't have been prevented by cleaning the bore following shooting? I would guess that after going through probably 50 spam cans or so of the 7.62x54R surplus in a number of MN rifles and carbines, (12 in my safe right now) I've never encountered a bad experience regarding primers, especially the "wrecked bores" you refer to in post #5...
    goat roper likes this.
  12. Smoke_44

Smoke_44 G&G Addict

I’m generally meticulous when cleaning my guns and always leave a light film of oil on the outside to prevent surface rust and coat the bore to prevent the same. I guess I didn’t scrub the bore well enough after a day of shooting the Mosin and the next time I had it out of the safe the bore was a sewer of rust. I scrubbed it out and it still shoots ok, but it was definitely disturbing. I won’t chance corrosive ammo again in my guns because of that.

runfiverun- Thanks for the info. I’ll do that.
    jwrauch likes this.
  13. runfiverun

yep those salts in the primer will eat you up.
    water hot and soapy will take care of things.
    or you can avoid the issue like I do.
    I don't buy anything pre-made.