close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Revolver or Auto

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, Jun 1, 2002.

Revolver or Auto

1. Automatic

17 vote(s)
    68.0%
  2. Revolver

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Which do you carry ? Why ?:fuss: :rolleyes: :eek:

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

.38 Taurus snubnose 2 inch barrel, polished stainless,ported with Speer Lawmen 158 grain flatnoses. At least i know a revolver will work ,never seen one stovepipe, have you?

3. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Nope...never seen a revolver stovepipe...I've seen one lock up because a primer backed out of a cartridge case in a .45 Colt caliber Ruger single action because of a hot handload though.

4. NRAJOE

Thats why I would carry only factory fodder in a defense gun!

5. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I have never seen a semiautomatic pistol jam because of bad timing or a bent cylinder pin. Personally, I really dislike the grips most revolvers have. I currently only have 1 revolver. I used to have a nice RedHawk in .44 magnum, that I liked.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2002
  6. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Klaus Grips are one of the easiset things to replace on a revolver

7. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Negative. Most revolvers have the goofy grip frames that really flare out at the bottom, making it impossible to fit grips shaped like auto pistol grips. There are exceptions, of course, which is why I said MOST, not all. Plus, the revolvers have the grips rounded at the top instead of a much more logical beaver tail extension.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2002
  8. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

This is an addition to NRAJOE's comment, Just due to the legal concerns, I would never, never, never carry handload's for a defensive weapon. I can just see the lawsuit now. "...So Mr. Jarcp, you porposly loaded your ammunition with more powder than the commercial factories, because you were just waiting to shoot someone, isn't that correct?..." I think I'll stick to the ammo I know works good for self defense, and stick to my handload that work great for the range.

9. I like an auto also. I have both and have carried both. I have also seen all the problems that can happen with both. My best advice is no mortal man can control the X factor but you can buy the best quality that you can afford.

10. Haven't seen one carry 15 rounds either...

11. NRAJOE

If your an excellent shot such as myself, you don't need 15 rounds! :hmmm: ??

12. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Yes, 6 shots is plenty to protect you from rioters, or looters, or to provide cover fire.

13. NRAJOE

We're not all expecting armageddon such as yourself Klaus, Ido have alot of other pistols but we were talking about concealment guns and I feel a little snub is the best conceal gun...so there! :joker: !

Last edited: Jun 3, 2002
  14. Yeah I can hold my own--15 rounds--one for each target.

15. Lenny

Lenny Guest

I carry both

I carry a .357 revolver and/or a 1911 because I like them both. Technically speaking, the auto is more reliable. In all of the hard-core stress tests that I have read autos outperform revolvers. If you have to choose, find the highest calibre that you can shoot good with in the frame that is the most comfortable for you.

16. Jerry K.

Jerry K. G&G Newbie

I believe the revolver is more reliable, but I'll carry a 1911 due to the ease of reloading a clip compared to a revolver. That is if I need to reload another clip. In your opinion why do you think the auto is more reliable. I need more confidence in carring an auto. Any help I can get is appreciated.

17. DavidW

DavidW G&G Newbie

My everyday carry gun is currently a Taurus Model 455 in .45 Colt. I keep two speedloaders for it in the glovebox of my truck. Granted, I may be giving up somethng in capacity and speed of reload, but I also live in a very small town in the South and I'm not very likely to beset upon by a crew of gangbangers or a rowdy motorcycle club or any other urban horror somebody can dream up. There is a definite criminal element in the CSRA, but the first rule of gunfighting is stay away from the fight in the first place. When I went to retire my beloved Taurus Model 85 I originally had in mind a stainless steel .357 with rubber grip already on it. Well, I spotted the 455 and the rest is history. It's pretty spectacular when I let off one those Winchester silvertips, what with the barrel being ported and all. Plus, the .45 Colt Silvertip had been proven to exhibit very reliable expansion under most conditions.

18. I carry an auto because I shoot more accurately with one. Because I carry a 1911A1 or some variant, or a CZ-75C, I don't have to worry about a stovepipe at least on the first round - it's cocked 'n' locked.

For jarcp and maybe NRAJOE, the concern over handloads is Massaad Ayboob horse pucky. It is absolutely, positively not an issue. How do I know? I did the Lexis/Nexis search. There have been only a couple of cases where it has even been brought up. In one case, the prosecuter got his head handed to him by an extremely sharp defense attorney. It the other, it was objected to as irrelavent because deadly force is deadly force under the law and makes no distinction regarding velocity. Objection was sustained.

And yes, I carry homebrew ammo. Your litigation tolerance may be less than mine. Use your best judgement.

19. FireStar

FireStar G&G Newbie

I carry a Fully Combat Customized FireStar M40 in .40 S&W with Winchester 180 grain SXT Black Talons.

20. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I carry a revolver...if you can't get them with six shots you deserve to die..