close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Revolvers

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

:eek: What do y'all think of revolvers ? :rolleyes: :fuss: :nod: :target:

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I trust a revolver more than an auto because you can always count on them to work. No stovepipes,no jamming,no failure to feed.

3. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

NRAJOE, your trust is misplaced. Revolvers can, and do jam. They are generally more reliable than semiautomatics, but there are several types of jams that can occur. And when a revolver jams, it usually can not be cleared quickly. If the timing is off, shaved lead will jam the cylinder. Case seperation is worse. A slightly bent cylinder pin could also jam the ratchet or also cause misalignment. All sorts of things could get inside the trigger group and lock it up. Then, there is always the possibility of broken springs.

4. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Logansdad, I do not have anything against revolvers except the bad grips, bulk, generally very stiff DA triggers, and low capacity. I would not use a revolver for a carry pistol, but have no problem with one for home defence or taget shooting, in proper caliber.

5. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

I heard Ayoob say one time that autos are more tolerable to abuse while revolvers are more tolerable to neglect. I shot revolvers better until I started shooting my Glock 30. I personally think the .357mag is underrated... LOTS of one shot stops were recorded in the '70's and '80's with the 125gr.jhp.

Jesse

6. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I acquire stainless Smith K & L Frames...most are .357 Magnums

7. wes

wes G&G Newbie

I lost some respect for Ayoob after hearing him in a radio interview. He is of the opinion that ONLY LEO's should be allowed to carry guns. I agree Jesse with the .357mag. it is underated,I think it is one of the best rounds ever developed.

8. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

.357 magnums are great. I do not know why you say they are underrated. They topped the FBI's one shot stop charts until last year, when they got beat by the .40.

9. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Revolver for target shooting and hunting SA or DA.
    Good reliable, maintained, practiced, well fed semi auto to protect my flesh from being perforated. Worst case scenerio, the wheel gun will work well too, becuase of all the hunting and target shooting done with it.
    Not trying to put this on any one, this is just me.

10. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

People have varying opinions of Ayoob, I use him as a reference, since he seems to be well researched. Ayoob's big deal is the national CCW for LE officers. He's been pushing for it for almost a decade and almost got it after Columbine, until the DEMS killed the bill as a ryder in the House of Rep. I know little of his teaching, but as I have said before, he is well researched and answers e-mails if you have any questions.

I think another round that gets little attention and is a real stopper is the 38 Super. If you have a 1911 with a supported and ramped 38 super chambering, you can red line that round to the max! I have heard of some hot loads of the hunting variety in that setup. Cor-Bon loads defense ammo in 38 Super. There used to be a full moon clip setup in a S&W 686 for a 38 Super a few years back called the Medusa?...

Jesse

11. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Yeah,forgot about the .38 super,a REAL underated round.

12. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I enjoy shooting my revolvers for targets/plinking but for home defense I rely on autos. More because of the calabers 9mm (wife) and 45acp (me) my revolvers are a lot bigger and bulkier than the autos. My wife relied on a 38 for the longest time. With autos it takes more practice to clear jams and misfeeds. For new shooters and people who dont practice a revolver is a very good choice...point and shoot...pistol. My revolvers tend to be in the larger calabers...357 and 454 and as much as Id love a 454 with a hi-cap mag the thing would weigh a ton and cost big $$.
    Depends what you like and trust.

13. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Never had any problems like you described Klaus (not yet) I guess anything can happen to anything. I always get trigger jobs on my revolvers now since I bought a used Colt Trooper that had a trigger and action job...sweet shooting!

14. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    the .38 super is alive and well in several modern pistols. Les Baer Custom, Ed Brown, EAA 1911 types. Kimber has decided to chamber the stainless target II and pro carry HDII. S&W is building a new 8 shot on the N frame w 8 shot full moon clips. Talk about blistering speeds Corbon (of course) 115gn JHP @ 1450 fps; 125gn JHP @ 1350 fps "normal" stuff goes 1200~1250

15. johno

johno G&G Newbie

I like the reliability and simplicity of the revolver. I also am a big fan of hard hitting rounds like the .357 and .44mag.

i do not like the grips on most revolvers. so far i have not yet seen a revolver that fits comfortably in my right hand. i prefer autos for the comfort and more importantly the quick reload and higher cap mags.

16. SW .357 is my weapon of choice, has been for years. First pistol I bought after I got out of the Army. Klaus you're right about the long hard DA pull, IMHO the only real down side to the revolver. Although with practice I can double tap pretty accurately. Using speedloaders may not be as fast as switching mags, but again with some practice you can become relatively fast.

I carried a .45 in the service and have one, but I just plain love revolvers.

17. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I like grips by Craig Spegel or the Eagle "Secret Service" grips...I think revolvers are underrated.

18. 44 mag- if you think it is underated--well break in my house.

19. ive got six revolvers and one auto.
    you can tell which i prefer.

20. I love my revolver. I love all my guns but my revolver is just fun. It is simple to use, few working parts to worry about and can usually take more wear and tear. Pick it up, pull the trigger and she fires. Although my first handgun was an auto, I now feel that any new shooter should get a revolver to start. The gun I keep next to me when I sleep is a .357 revolver. If I have to wake up from a dead sleep and shoot I trust my revolver more than I trust a 1/2 asleep me.