Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For some reason, I have been seriously thinking about getting a Rock Island 1911 chambered in 38 super...and I really don't know why, but the thought of a 1911 in 38 super has been intriguing to me, though.

I have owned tons of guns, but I have never owned anything in 38 super, even though I have a box of the ammo.

I also reload but I may have to get super dies if I can't adapt my 38 special dies for it.

Thoughts and/or experience?

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Super .38 Auto (the correct Colt name for it) pretty much gives you .357 Sig performance with a little less drama
Max pressure for the Sig cartridge is 40,000 psi vs 36,500 for the Super .38.
Tanfoglio and STI make raceguns that hold 20 rounds of the hot stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a 9mm ria (9mm/22tcm combo gun) I opened up the breachface a hair to fit the semi rim of the 38 super. Ended up with a good deal on a eaa witness in 38 super and the rock island got traded off. Hard to argue with over double the capacity.
Will say the biggest thing I noticed the RIA had over the witness was the smoother feeding of the corbon hollow points through it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I had zoned in on RIA, as I have a couple of guns from them already and for the money, they seems to be a great deal (which is important for a poor retired guy with (according to my wife) too many guns already...
Are you looking at the bushing style or the bull barrel?
The only issue I've seen with ria is the fiber optic growing legs from the front site , and with my girls baby rock 380 the mag catch had a chunk missing from the factory which basically meant it was a expensive paperweight.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Love the super and you will too. It is enough more powerful than the 9mm to matter. A whole different shooting experience to me. And they are was to load for. Just about any load will get you to 425 foot pounds in a 5 inch gun. Most accurate gun I own.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you looking at the bushing style or the bull barrel?
The only issue I've seen with ria is the fiber optic growing legs from the front site , and with my girls baby rock 380 the mag catch had a chunk missing from the factory which basically meant it was a expensive paperweight.
I was looking for the standard bushing style

·
Registered
45 Posts
The original .38 Super (1929) had problems until the cartridge began headspace properly on the case mouth. After that, the round began reaching .357 Magnum velocities with the accuracy needed to compete with the revolver cartridge.

From Wiki:

"The .38 Super retains the original dimensions of the .38 ACP case. The cartridge was originally designed to headspace on the semi-rimmed case, which worked in the Colt M1900 due to the design of the feed ramp. When the .38 Auto became the .38 Super, in the 1911A1, the feed ramp could no longer be used as rim support. As a result of this, observed accuracy of the .38 Super suffered until Irv Stone of Bar-Sto barrels re-designed the chamber to allow headspacing on the case mouth. Since then, all new production .38 Super pistols headspace on the case mouth, as with other cartridges in this class. The semi-rimmed case is known to cause feeding problems in some magazines, especially double-stack magazines, and led to the development of new variants with reduced rims (typically only .003 inch per side)."

This tells most of the story.

The .38 Super was one of JMB's better ideas.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
The original .38 Super (1929) had problems until the cartridge began headspace properly on the case mouth. After that, the round began reaching .357 Magnum velocities with the accuracy needed to compete with the revolver cartridge.

From Wiki:

"The .38 Super retains the original dimensions of the .38 ACP case. The cartridge was originally designed to headspace on the semi-rimmed case, which worked in the Colt M1900 due to the design of the feed ramp. When the .38 Auto became the .38 Super, in the 1911A1, the feed ramp could no longer be used as rim support. As a result of this, observed accuracy of the .38 Super suffered until Irv Stone of Bar-Sto barrels re-designed the chamber to allow headspacing on the case mouth. Since then, all new production .38 Super pistols headspace on the case mouth, as with other cartridges in this class. The semi-rimmed case is known to cause feeding problems in some magazines, especially double-stack magazines, and led to the development of new variants with reduced rims (typically only .003 inch per side)."

This tells most of the story.

The .38 Super was one of JMB's better ideas.
The cheapest 357 ammo I can find is the Tullamo. It is steel cased with a 158 grain fmj flat bullet. I chronographed them in my 3 inch Smith and Wesson. The snub got 1201 fps.
I load my 1911 five inch 38 Super pretty hot. But I cannot get anywhere close to real 357 ammo when you compare them with normal carry size Guns. Don't get me wrong, the Super is by far my favorite 1911 or other semi auto caliber. Love it. But if I am walking around bear country, my snub nose 357 is far superior, except I like having 9 rounds on tap...lol

I Chronograph everything, new and reloads, I just have not found any Super ammo with 147 or other respectable bullet that can equal the 357. Maybe she BB or Corbon can get there, but nobody else can. I would love to be proven wrong on this one so please provide any credible info about loads I can make or buy. When I can get above 550 foot pounds at the muzzle, I will change my woods carry Guns.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts