Gun and Game Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,849 Posts
I have always wanted a .38 Super too. Had a Star Modelo Super awhile back in 9mm Largo. I did a simple mod on it allowing the use of .38 Super brass to handload to 9mm Largo spec. .38 Super itself was too hot for the Star.
But a new pistol having that extra grunt would be pretty neat!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I have always wanted a .38 Super too. Had a Star Modelo Super awhile back in 9mm Largo. I did a simple mod on it allowing the use of .38 Super brass to handload to 9mm Largo spec. .38 Super itself was too hot for the Star.
But a new pistol having that extra grunt would be pretty neat!
Having a Star is another dream gun of mine, they are really fine firearms! The .38 Super never caught on and that's a shame. It's a danged good defense round and I have read it's quite popular with IPSC competition shooters.

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
My phone wont let me post pictures for some reason

Reactions: Dannyboy53

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
For us old geezers with shakes and failing eye sight. My brother hit me in the left eye with a rock at 3rd grader. My sight in that eye got worse over the years. Went to a doctor and she advised it could be removed, insurance covers it. OK. Shortly she advised I had a cataract in right eye. Left eye was a traumatic cataract. I hesitated being my shooting eye. Had it done and I can now see 20/20 like an eagle. Only problem I have is reading super fine print. Thanks Ron Eagle Elk.

·
Banned
30 Posts
One of mine. RIA 9mm compact. This pic was when it was new.
When I got it, the ejector was misshapen, had to send it in for warranty repair. They replaced the part. And hand fitted every part, polished the feed ramp and replaced all the springs with Wolf springs. Sent me back a custom pistol. It now has custom grips as well.
A sweet tack driving shooter.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Actually, it has shot every ammo I have put in it. Including reloads with 100 grn full round .380 bullets and 90grn HP .380s. At 1450 fps, I would not want to get hit with one. Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Years ago I was really hard on 9mm ammunition but manufacturers have made the ammo much better. My wife has a S&W Mod 66 but prefers to carry her Bersa Thunder .380 because it is light and much easier to conceal! But she knows it is only for close work and it's probably best if she dumps the magazine on an assailant and then we'll see how the 90 grain HPs work!
Bersa Duo Tone .Thunder .380.gif

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Years ago I was really hard on 9mm ammunition but manufacturers have made the ammo much better. My wife has a S&W Mod 66 but prefers to carry her Bersa Thunder .380 because it is light and much easier to conceal! But she knows it is only for close work and it's probably best if she dumps the magazine on an assailant and then we'll see how the 90 grain HPs work! View attachment 117934
I dunno but James Bond shoots down helicopters, blows up propane tanks, and shoots through hard cover with his 380.

But Hollywood aside, the 380 rounds I have test fired performed far better on penetration and bullet expansion than I would have thought. Granted, I have not fired thousands of 380 rounds in every possible configuration. And those I did shoot were in a Bersa Thunder.
Having just cut some propane tanks in half for scrapping, I am fairly sure a 380 round won't penetrate one.
I prefer 9mm or larger, but I would not feel defenseless with a 380.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I dunno but James Bond shoots down helicopters, blows up propane tanks, and shoots through hard cover with his 380.

But Hollywood aside, the 380 rounds I have test fired performed far better on penetration and bullet expansion than I would have thought. Granted, I have not fired thousands of 380 rounds in every possible configuration. And those I did shoot were in a Bersa Thunder.
Having just cut some propane tanks in half for scrapping, I am fairly sure a 380 round won't penetrate one.
I prefer 9mm or larger, but I would not feel defenseless with a 380.
Thank you for this assessment Junction15!

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
I have an RIA 38 special in my hands. It recently developed a n out of time problem. I sent it in to Pahrump Nv. and they fixed it for free. Sent shipping labels and all prepaid to me. I had it back in about two weeks. It is a model 200, 4" barrel, fixed sights in flat black with Hogue type rubber grips. Feels good and shoots straight.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts