close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rick B. question

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by wes, Apr 21, 2002.

1. wes

wes G&G Newbie

I just bought a M-1 carbine, right in front of the clip is a slight crack, any ideas? TIA.:eek:

2. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Do You mean the Magazine? I forget and call it this from thinking of my first love of the Garand hehehehe. How big is it? I would use Gorilla Glue but cleaning the crack is needed and then refinsihing the area. Let me know if this is where the crack is. It is ok if it is there and small for now as long as you dont throw the Carbine around whcih I know you're not going to do. Let me Know. Rick B

3. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Magazine. Brain fart. About 3.5 in. long. I think the action is a bit tight. Put a business card between the action and stock and it does seem to bind in a couple of places. Stock isn't oil soaked,pretty clean newer stock. Wood in crack is clean. Could I stuff some gorilla glue in the crack and clamp it without messing-up the finish?

4. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Yes but you may want to lightly sand the tight area first. Worst thing is the glue wont work and you can run some 220 paper in it to scratch the glue for another try. Rick B

5. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Thanks Rick. I'll give it a shot.

6. Rick, Off subject but. I have a Boyds stock for my yugo with a MG-42 barrel on it, my question is what would you reccomend for finnishing the raw walnut stock? I was just planning to smooth the stock with water and steel wool, then use Boiled Linseed Oil on it, using several coats. Ken.

7. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

There are many things, first do you want a flat look to it? If you do linseed oil will give you this effect after it wears a bit. If you want a shine that can be dulled with either steel wool or rubbing compound and will last longer than linseed oil I recomend True Oil. I have another but it is a secret hehehehehe. Nice thing about linseed oil is it will give it a used look over time and you just rubb in a bit more every once and awhile. Sometimes Boyds can be a problem getting the oil to stick so be patient and very very light 0000 steel wool in between coats for better bonding. Let me know if you need better instructions? Rick B

8. Remember when everybody got along???