close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ridiculous guns I want

Discussion in 'General Firearms' started by billy, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Fiver, I hate you. I haven't seen any kind of M-14/M1A in that price range since before the Slick Willy Gun Ban was passed. But I should not be surprised; I'm one of those people fortune never favors no matter how bold I am!

Moroco Mole likes this.
  2. Cyrano

New York
    I'd love to know where you are going to find one of those!

Moroco Mole likes this.

3. Coach

Coach G&G Evangelist

NYS
    I'd be happy with a Ruger 10-22 takedown model..........lol..!!!

4. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

Thanks

5. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I do not consider any firearm ridiculous! I like them all, many wants, no money!:rolleyes:

Cyrano and austinjoe13 like this.
  6. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

what's funny is I was actually selling a rifle to a buddy of mine when I got it.
    I took the rifle I was letting go over to his house and his neighbor just happened to be there and asked if I was interested in buying a rifle he was trying to get rid of.

well, maybe,,, let's see it.
    he walks in with a hard case lined with green long haired material poking out the edges and I was like okay this has gotta be sumthin to see.
    when he opened it and said how about $400.
    I said to my buddy how about you pay him and I take this rifle.
    I didn't even take it out of the case.

7. Moroco Mole

Moroco Mole G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    I could just steal one from the Smithsonian.
    Anyone up for a midnight adventure.:D

8. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

9. Moroco Mole and ChaZam like this.
  10. One day I'll buy a 336 Marlin, I remember years ago a little shop in the city had one new but cheap. I always regretted not buying it. I just think it'd be a perfect pig rifle.

A friend back in the day had a 444 Marlin. We call them a triple 4 here. When he bought it I don't think you could buy factory ammo for them then. He had it for years and never fired it. Eventually we went out west and he brought it along and remember loving it. It had possibly a 4X good scope and was just so fast to the shoulder and eye.

I said to him standing there in the middle of nowhere, if you ever sell it, sell it to me.

Years later he told me he swapped it for some lame arsed shotgun.

I was wild about him doing that for years...

I near bought a brand new one a while back but I couldn't get past that whole original saga.

I even tried buying a .45-70 and even that was no good.

I'm rambling now but that guy, when we just broke kids, well just after, we had like enough money to last a week, he scored a rifle off a guy at the rifle club who was in the middle of a divorce.

It was a .308 Model 70, Timney trigger ( which was like changing you mind - light, I struggled with it ) big fat stainless barrel and the first McMillan stock I ever saw and the first Leupold scope anyone I knew ever had, straight 9 power.

Boyd was out at the range every week and really had the hand loading down pat, we'd go out west and out to 300 yards he could pick which nostril the bullet would go into.

That was 30 years ago, I wonder if he still has it?

He would never, no matter what, admit what he paid for it.

billy, Moroco Mole and ChaZam like this.
  11. Wow
    This thread hit a nerve.
    I also want one of those 4 barreled pepper boxes in 32 short or something

Moroco Mole, austinjoe13 and TXplt like this.
  12. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

If you go the 45-70 derringer route, be sure and use real black powder in your cartridge.

Love to see the smoke and fire belching from THAT thing.

Moroco Mole and austinjoe13 like this.
  13. PaleHawkDown

Ignoring the derail for once in my life...
    I also want a VZ 52 rifle, despite the ammo availability issue,
    I'd like a Medusa M-47 revolver, the revolver capable of shooting multiple calibers without modification,
    and a LeMat carbine

Moroco Mole likes this.
  14. Moroco Mole

Ohio
    Was facinated with the pepper box as a kidd. Had a pepper box cap gun.
    Never had a real one. Thought one of those Traditions kits would be cool.But really would like to find a working, late 1800's original, in .25 rimfire. As I have a lot .25 rf vintage Stevens loading brick a brack,and no gun to load it for.

TXplt likes this.
  15. PaleHawkDown

You start loading .25RF and I know people who would beat a path to your door. If you got into .32 or .38 RF the door wouldn't even slow them down.

Moroco Mole, TXplt and austinjoe13 like this.
  16. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    ^^^then why does no one do it PHD?

Moroco Mole likes this.
  17. PaleHawkDown

There are a few reasons, but here are the main ones as I see it:

1. Making rimfire ammo is a bit more complicated than making center fire ammo. It is more expensive from a factory perspective and consumes more time.

2. You are dealing with a very niche market of people who not only own antique guns, but feel the need to shoot them. Of that group, there are two subgroups:
    A. The ones who will load the gun once or twice just to be able to say they did, (meaning they will only be a one-time customer) and
    B. The ones who intend to use the weapon regularly. Group B can be broken up into three smaller groups:
    a: Those willing to modify the gun to take an easier to acquire round
    b: Those willing to buy all the stuff to make their own ammo
    c: Those who just want to buy ammo and have a field day.

3. Liability. You are providing ammunition for guns that some would say are unsafe to fire.

The small market, the high risk and the overall trouble make it a mostly losing proposition from a business standpoint - unless you can find a price point high enough to make up for the lack of volume, but low enough for people to be willing to pay it. The problem is that that price might force people who would have been in group B into group A due to cost.

For example, I have a beautiful Argentine Rolling Block in 43 Spanish. Only two companies make ammo for it that I can find. These companies only make a limited run of ammo for it every year or so. One box of ammo costs roughly 1/5 the value of the gun. That 50 count box of ammo I have, at more than $70 per box, will be a lifetime supply unless I hit the lottery or unless a bigger company (Come on Prvi) begins making it. If a bigger company makes it cheaper those other two companies might be pushed out of the market.

animalspooker and Moroco Mole like this.
  18. Cyrano

New York
    I have a VZ-52/57 in 7.62x39. It looks clunky, but it shoots great.

Moroco Mole likes this.
  19. PaleHawkDown

I could have gotten one at the Summer gun show last year for $350. I made a lap around the show and it was gone by the time I got back.

Moroco Mole likes this.
  20. Moroco Mole

Ohio
    Not to derail but if I started reloading 25 rf I would have to keep it on the down low. As I have a limited supply of parent cartiages and they are not cheap if you can find them.