Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, season is coming up, and I'm looking for an extremely cheap solution here. I don't plan on taking any shots over 150 yrds, so any old rifle will do. Here are the options:

M44 Mosin Nagant
K98 8mm Mauser
K31 Smith ruben

The reason I chose these 3 are simple. Price and power. I don't want to invest more than $150 into the sport before I know whether I will enjoy hunting here or not. So far, the m44 looks best. Ammo is available in all loadings - some soft point rounds for hunting and regular milsurp crappola for practise.

any ideas?

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
I've had an easier time finding hunting ammo for the Mosin, but it's out there for the Mauser too. For a handy rifle to carry, the Mosin really is the best choice. The Mauser will beat it in accuracy and the Schmidt Rubin will do the same, but unless you really like it and can find good hunting ammo, Mauser and Mosin are better. Both are comparable in power. Mauser is heavier, meaning lower felt recoil but also more weight to carry.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,972 Posts
Yep, twenty years ago, the 8mm Mauser hunting ammo was still easily found - but not now!
For store-bought/mail order ammo, I'd go with the M44 Mosin.
If reloading, the S-R would get the nod.
Distances here are short enough, that a scope is often more a hindrance than a help.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. I've been leaning towards the M44. I'm not much for scopes...can't hit anything with it and under 200 yards, you seldom need it anyways...
I have someone that prmised me a 1893 6.5mm Mauser action - I was going to re-barrel it and slap a stock on it for a nice, low recoil rifle, but the m44 will have to do. Besides, I won't feel bad if I get a scratch on the furniture, right. I'm thinking some deer is going to have a collision with a 180gr soft point 7.62 round....
Just how bad is the accuracy on the M44?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,972 Posts
Mine does about 4 to 5 inches at 100 yards, with the Czech Silver tip. Probably do somewhat better with good hunting loads.
My M39 Finn does much better with the heavy 204grain soft points.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
A M44 in good condition is very sufficent enough for hunting. As long as the rifling and muzzle is intact and the headspace is ok, you shouldn't have to worry too much, as long as you do your part. The Mosins are great rifles and can be very accurate. Especially when scoped. If you want that, but open sights will do fine.
I'm getting around to that myself with my little project.
As for ammo, I had a very bad experiance with the S&B/Winchester 180gr soft tips. I shot a nice little buck with one earlier this season and the bullet seperated, end of story..it ruined a LOT of meat. Just a word of caution.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Yugo SKS? Good accuracy, adequate power, and low price. Everything you need.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
If it is legal to hunt with in your area. In PA, no semi-auto rifles, only shotguns, and still no autos for deer.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
any of your 3 choices will work fine for deerhunting. the only caveat being the 8x57 ammo. US made hunting ammo for the 8mm is very underpowered, you either need to load your own or buy european ammo for it. if you fire winchester or remington 8x57 ammo , and then touch off a few of my handloads- you will wonder if the factories forgot to put in the powder.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice guys! Even the SKS is a bit pricey for this. I also don't really trust the 7.62x39 round for killing power - I trust it more than a .223, but still not enough. I was thinking of getting a k98 at some point and re-barreling it for .308 or just break down and get a lee-enfield! haha
I think I'll go ahead and order a M44 - If I don't like it, I'm out of $80 and can order something else.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
An SKS should not be considered too pricey at all, but a Mosin is certainly a better choice due to power. An SKS is on the low side, and if you plan on making shots at any decent range, the X54 is by far a better choice.

But seriously, choose the right gun, not the cheapest gun. It's just your luck that they happen to be the same.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Try an in-line muzzle loader...You can by a decent one for the money your talking, and most shoot well at the range you spoke of. A vast amount of projectiles are available that are quite deadly on deer sized game.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I can make deer size shots at 250-300yds with my $125 Romanian SKS. The power is adequate for humans at that range, it *should* work on deer. I wouldn't shoot an elk with it though.

·
Registered
417 Posts
i know i couldnt, but i know a couple old hillbillys that could...it's fun watching this one guy shoot...he'll pick up a little dirt, drop it see which way the winds blowing, line up...if he feels the wind change, !!!! pick up more dirt..line up then bam..direct hit

·
Registered
417 Posts
nevermind...that was at 200 yrds...300 yards is pretty darn far

·
Registered
781 Posts
I can smack a 1ft plate at the 300yd mark at my range over 50% with mine. I bet at 250 I could do better. That's with garbage Silver Bear JHP's

·
Registered
417 Posts
ill see how i can do next time i go shooting...it just sux measuring 300 yards

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bet you can find a good single shot hunting rifle for $125. If you want
to kill deer, a single shot should be fine. You most likely will not get a
second shot because the deer will be running. Any bullet in the .308
category has had more work put into it than the 8mm. Blacktail, Whitetail,
Mule?