close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rifle ID

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by TKH, Apr 18, 2002.

1. TKH

TKH G&G Newbie

Trying to ID a rifle, from what I can see in shotgun news, it appears to be a Mosin Nagant, but I know nothing about these rifles. The reciever is stamped AS FA, then underneath that ANK ARA There is a u shaped moon with a star over it between the letters. There is also a mark on the safety that looks like a letter with a crown on top of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Sounds like a Turk Mauser to me. The moon with the star is the Turkish crest.

3. I dont know what you have without seeing a photo but its definately NOT an M44.....and it definately IS Turkish. Ankara is the capital of Turkey and the crescent moon & star is their national emblem.
    Hmmmm, I would agree with Calvin since the USA has been FLOODED with cheap $39.00 Turkish Mausers.

4. Bryan Williams

Bryan Williams G&G Newbie

Is the magazine smooth with the stock? If so it's a Turkish Mauser.

Kraut, you made it to my neck of the world yet? :)

5. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

TKH, if the bolt has a 3-position safety on the rear of the bolt, it's a Mauser. The Mosin's have a large knob on the rear that has to be pulled, then turned to activate the safety.

6. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Mosins have a safety

Dang I've had my rifle for six months and didn't know they had a safety. I just figured you held the knob and released the tension if you wanted to put safety on.

Learn new things everyday!

7. TKH

TKH G&G Newbie

It does have safety at the rear of the bolt, but it appears to be only a 2 position type. The magazine is not flush with the rifle, it is about an inch deeper than the stock at the muzzle end, then gets larger as it approaches the trigger (looked like the Mosin Nagant magazine, thats why I initially thought it might be one.). The magazine and the trigger guard are one piece, no seperation betweeen them. The magazine also has a floorplate that pops off. I just noticed on the floorplate a stamp that looks like a tombstone with 1914 stamped under it. I'll try and post a photo if I can figure out how to do that!

8. Hi Bryan,
    Yes. I arrived in Mountain Home on Tuesday the 9th and moved into an apartment this past weekend. Im now an Arkansan or Arkansasian or Arkanite or Arkansonian or.........

9. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

10. TKH

TKH G&G Newbie

Yep, that's it. Thanks for the help everyone! Truthfully I didn't pay anything for it, I adopted it to save it from destruction! It needs some serious TLC. Any ideas on finding a replacement stock?

11. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

TKH, check with Numrich (Gun Parts Corp. aka e-gunparts.com) to see if they have the stock and other parts. Look under Gew. 88, Commision Rifle, etc. Some sources call these rifles "Mauser 88", but they aren't Mausers.
    Good luck, I hope you can restore it.