close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rifle ID

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by TKH, Apr 19, 2002.

1. TKH

TKH G&G Newbie

Trying to ID a rifle. Thought it was a Mosin Nagant, but was informed it may be a Turkish Mauser. I know nothing about either! The reciever is stamped AS FA, then underneath that ANK ARA There is a u shaped moon with a star over it between the letters. There is also a mark on the safety that looks like a letter with a crown on top of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I dont expect it to have any great value, but I thought it might be fun to clean up and shoot.

2. monte

monte G&G Newbie

Its a Turkish mauser for sure! That ANKARA is I believe the armory where it was built. I got a turk about a year ago and I cleaned it up and it has been a blast to shoot, its my favorite gun! Make sure though that you have the headspace checked before shooting it. Good Luck and happy shooting.

3. Armsman

Armsman G&G Newbie

Ankara

You might also look at the date. They made large rings at ankara and rebarreled and rechambered small rings into 8mm mauser. Quickest way to tell the diff is the small rings are dated early 30's and have a cut-out right below where it say Anakara (spl) kinda looks like they made a clearance cut for the tip of the bullet.