Rifle No. 5 Mk I

Discussion in 'Enfield Rifles' started by Asbestos, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Asbestos

Asbestos G&G Regular

Picked up a Jungle carbine at a gun show today I believe its a post-war conversion since i picked it up for $230 I have a question is it a post-war conversion? and was it really manufactured in 1943 or was the the year the No. 4 they used to manufactured it. Also did i get it for a good price.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now two more stupid question, first off it take a .303 right? and second question I picked up a pack of 50 rounds of .303 in a bandoleer and the rounds look really, old I will include two pictures
    Do you think they are safe to use? or are they dangerous to use.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

GOlden Stae Arms was a big surplus rifle importer in the 50's. their Santa Fe division modified many No4 MKI's to jungle carbine spec's. not as valuble as an original carbine, but still a fun gun.

who made the ammo???

3. Asbestos

Asbestos G&G Regular

No idea it was already in the bandoleer in the charger clip. the only markings on the shell is a F a N and then a 50

4. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

If the brass is only surface stained, it should be ok. Check by scraping with a knife.
    If you decide to try the ammo, wear good eye protection, and use the best of the ammo first. If there is any sign of body cracks, or gas release from the head area, cease using the ammo.

5. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

most like its FN made FN didn't make crap ammo, but its ovious yours was not stored under ideal conditions.

M14man is right about it.

6. Asbestos

Asbestos G&G Regular

IT seems to scratch off Im going to use it when i get a chance, what are the odds of a hang fire since they are in such bad shape.

7. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    I see what looks like shellac residue on the primer of the one round you showed end on. Military practice up to about the time of the Vietnam War worldwide was to put a light coat of shellac on the primers to keep them waterproof. As to how well it works: anecdotal evidence from the guerrillas operating in the Phillipines concerning the World War I-vintage ammo they had for their Springfields, that had to live in the humidity and rains of a tropical jungle, was that it fired most of the time. Chances are your FN ammo, even if not stored to military standards, will go off when you shoot it.

8. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

My research tells me that charging clip isn't loaded correctly, BTW. I can't explain how it's done, and don't have a diagram, but I'm sure someone here can/does.

9. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

This way for those interested..click on thumbnail pic

Attached Files:

10. Asbestos

Asbestos G&G Regular

Good to know what is the reasoning behind staggering them?

11. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

My guess is that it helps with getting the rounds staggered properly in the Enfield 10-rd double-stack magazine. Don't really know though. Seems to work good.

12. As has been guessed at, so they load correctly; because it is a rimmed round.

Your rifle was built in 1943 by BSA in Birmingham, England. I am afraid that ii is not a No5 in any shape or form, it is a No4 that has been made to look like one.

Having said that I reckon that it was a good price.

That magazine looks interesting.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  13. yeah, what is that? a five round mag?

14. Asbestos

Asbestos G&G Regular

I got it to hold 7 rounds, I got a picture of it, 7 rounds seems strange [​IMG]
    it says its made in japan so yeah i know its not an original mag, or an original No. 5. where can i get a good 10rd mag. And i took it to the range today i think I hate my Mosin Nagants now. not really but its fun to shoot just expensive to shoot.

15. I think that that magazine is an interesting artefact in its own right. I think that those 'good' conversions will be collectable in their own right in years to come. All in all, a bit of a bargain I reckon.

You can use a No4 magazine because they are identical to those on a No.5. There should be plentiful supply of them around.

16. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Saw the Golden State stamp and was thinking these were fake No. 5's. I believe they were only made at BSA and the Faz plants.

Also, those cartridges look so old I would pull one of them bullets from the case and see if they are stuffed with cordite instead of powder. Cordite causes some bad chamber erosion.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  17. Asbestos

Asbestos G&G Regular

They all shot well out of 30 rounds i shot 5 of them were click bangs idk what to call it a delayed shot i could hear the firing pin strike. They shot well They are FN made even the charging clips. anyone have any tips for the buttplate being kinda slippery, it kept sliding off my shoulder when i was shotting it

18. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Only fix I can think of is a slip on woosie recoil pad. Other than Bubba'ing something up.

19. Laufer

Laufer G&G Enthusiast

On the other hand, does this rifle have two advantages over authentic #5s?

1) Modified from a #4, it has No metal scraped from the barrel to reduce weight, as with "lightening cuts". It should have a stronger chamber (?).

2) He spent less money, and in theory has more for Prvi ammo, which
    (if neck-sized only), can be reloaded several times.
    The rifles looks really good.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  20. Ammo for Enfields

I am concerned about the ammo powder load to be fired from Enfields. I have ordered 60 rounds of .303 from Cheaper-Than-Dirt. The load is 150 grains. I will be firing my No. 5 Mk. 1, 1944, all numbers matching, and very clean and tight. Will someone comment on any safety issue with this round? Thanks.