Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
West Virginia's 2 week rifle season opens Monday. I took the first week off from work so I'd have time to shoot a few and get them in the freezer without having to rush to get them done. This year I thought it would be fun to use Dad's Savage Model 99 in 250/3000, so Monday morning I'll be sitting out in the driveway in a lawn chair watching for the deer to cross the field.

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
West Virginia's 2 week rifle season opens Monday. I took the first week off from work so I'd have time to shoot a few and get them in the freezer without having to rush to get them done. This year I thought it would be fun to use Dad's Savage Model 99 in 250/3000, so Monday morning I'll be sitting out in the driveway in a lawn chair watching for the deer to cross the field.
That's the kind of place in general I want to move to.
I could do similar here but it would be out one of the back windows.

·
Premium Member
10,156 Posts
What county are hunting in? I used to hunt the area around Kingwood, Albright, Bruceton Mills every year and then back to MD. for opening day.

·
Registered
11,620 Posts
classic design that is strong
they ain't that strong, they hold the pressures down in the load books for the savage lever rifles so they don't get their frame stretched. [the 308's are particularly susceptible]
i can easily get another 1-2 hundred FPS from a bolt rifle in the 250 and 300 rounds.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
As an older guy with disabilities I am proud to bring home one or two nice bucks every year. for more than 50 years now, many states, public land, military bases, and lately private land. Not being very mobile I cannot walk and stalk like the infantryman I once was. For decades I belonged to a group of 8 hunters, now there are 4, we are 85, 75, 73 and 43. None of us are very mobile due to health issues that just happen, just like to hunt like hundreds of guys on this forum so I am just sharing some thoughts that lots of folks on here will identify with..We are not related just know each other from work, I live 4 hours from the others. We are just like minded hunters.

I have killed most of more than 100 deer on the ground where I found them, usually in the middle of the day in their beds., white tail and mule deer in several states. Our group does not shoot does or baby bucks, just our way. And now, we have gone to putting up tree stands and those awful feeders although I have never killed a deer at them. So yesterday, my last day to hunt for health reasons I thought I was skunked, then about 10:00 I saw a gnarly old buck chasing 2 does. I did a stupid thing. I took a running shot at about 200 yards, dumb I know, but I have killed lots of deer far away, I missed. Then I did another stupid thing, at about 250 yards, I took another running shot and missed. When I say running shot, this buck was trying to breed this doe, she would slow down and he would try to do his business but each time I fired, they were gone. So, about 282 yards he stopped, for one second, and I nailed him. 257 Weatherby Vanguard with 100 grain pointed soft points. Love that gun, killed about a dozen deer with it out to 403 yards. It was a retirement gift in 2010 when I was forced to retire medically. Here is a pic of my old gnarly guy. This old deer by the way had very loose skin on the sides of his face, I have only seen that once when I killed a deer that was certified as over 11 years old, a mule deer in Wyoming. Mossyoak says the loose skin does not happen until the are 8 years old, so I guess he was a geezer too.

Grass Underwater Terrestrial animal Tail Landscape

Anyway, I was proud just to get a deer this year yesterday and then tonight at about 5:35 today. My buddy who is 75 and suffers from pretty severe diabetes killed a good one and just wanted to share. He estimates it weighs 220 and he is always close. He has killed lots of monster deer, but our spot has not produced any monsters the last 5 years. A mature whitetail has ears that are about 18 inches wide, how wide is this big boy?

The other 3 of us gave up and shot lesser deer, all about 160-170 field dressed deer with 8 points except for my gnarly one. Not shabby for a group of mostly geezers. My buddy is hunting 7 hours from home, alone, with no one to help get that guy loaded. Tough guys in our bunch. You gotta love dedicated deer hunters.

Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout Sporting Group Soil

It was a purdy good day.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Our firearms season ends this weekend on the 28th. I have yet to drop one but that's ok the muzzleloader season starts 12/5 & the archery season goes to 1/2 of next year.
We are in Oklahoma where our black powder runs the third week of October for 9 days and our gun season runs 16 days starting the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Health and other issues killed the black powder, but I got the one above , which is all I need as I still have deer burger from last year. My last two deer weighed 180 and 183 pounds field dressed, those two put about 180 pounds in the 2 freezers and with Covid nobody coming over, so I still have lots of burger, still glad to get this old guy. Back straps are at the top of the list on food for me.

Good luck. I have killed lots but every time I harvest one it is still a thrill for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts