Rifle Stock

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by animalspooker, May 15, 2018.

1. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

Any long range guys here? I have a question. First let me say that I know todays long range and accuracy guys tend to lean toward synthetic stocks for their long range rifles. Wood tends to swell and warp a lot more with temperature and humidity changes, causing barrel contact and accuracy issues and lack of consisitency. But what about a Model 7 rifle (for example)? The synthetic stock on it is about as cheap and flimsy as they come, similar to the bottom line rifles made by all the Makers (Rem 783, Axis.....). So, do you think a Seven in a factory wood stock would be better/more accurate than one in that Tupperware, synthetic stock it comes in? Gimme your $0.02!

jwrauch likes this.
  2. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    All the rifles I built from scratch with Mauser, O3A3 receivers I used only Hogue stocks. Used to use some Fajen but they don't make the Composite camo ones anymore. The I use the Hogue overmolded stocks and pillar bedded. They have pillar and full bedded stocks. They are pricey but can get in many colors and designs for most rifles. All the rifles I built were very accurate after sight in and never an issue. I have seen my son shoot his 308, 257 Roberts, 3006 and 2506 at very far distances where you needed a scope to hit them. Nice stocks though

jwrauch likes this.

3. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk G&G Evangelist

Don't know if they make one for the Model 7, but MDT makes a very nice chassis. I dropped my Model 10 Savage into one and it's very solid. With that rifle and good glass I shoot golf balls at 300 yards. The chassis I used was called an LSS, runs a bit under $400, unless you get it on sale. I got mine for under $300. Not only is it solid, but it's pretty light weight thanks to the aluminum chassis.

Before the chassis I had it in a Bell and Carlson stock that was also rock solid, but heavy for the field.

animalspooker likes this.
  4. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

You might check Boyds for a laminate. They aren't subject to changing due to humidity .

5. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

There is a trade off for everything, and gun stocks are no different.

It depends on what you are going to use the Model 7 for, Spooker.

I have a couple sub-MOA Rem. 700s with heavy synthetic stocks that I would NOT want to lug around the woods. I bought a Model 7 in .308, because it is lighter. It shoots minute of deer, so I'm happy.:)

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    mauser9, animalspooker and jwrauch like this.
  6. animalspooker

I have looked at this chassis, but had a number of people tell me that it is still a little heavy and awkward to shoot off hand??? They do make one for the SEVEN.

Ron Eagle Elk likes this.
  7. animalspooker

Yeah TM, I can't imagine that I would ever shoot more than 4-500 yards (at varmint, not deer) so even if it is a 2MOA gun, I should still be able to make contact with my target. I'm just a stickler when it comes to my guns. Those SEVENs have a pad between the foreend and the barrel, and I must say, "This drives me crazy!" Everyone says not to remove it, but I'm from the school of thought that...Nothing touches the barrel beyond the lug!

By the way...thanks to all!!!

8. Ron Eagle Elk

I shoot at least a hundred rounds a week through my rifle (.308) and have never found it difficult to shoot from any position, supported or unsupported, but that's just me. I do use a ten round magazine and still have no difficulty. When I had the B&C stock, I used AICS style bottom metal so I could use 5 or ten round mags. The chassis allows the use of the same mags. I seem to have a bit of trouble with the steel mags so I switched to the Magpul polymer mags and zero problems, smooth feeding. Oh, and there is no pad between the barrel and the chassis, at least on the ones I've seen at the range.

9. animalspooker

So Ron. You're is the factory (thin, #1) barrel? You removed the pad when you put it in the chassis? Do you see much POI change as the barrel heats? What did you use for the buttstock on your LSS MDT? And, you don't think its a little heavy to use as a hunting rifle? Sorry for all the questions.

10. Ron Eagle Elk

Okay, I'm not shooting a model 7, I'm shooting a Savage Model 10 with a medium barrel contour. If the pad you have is part of the stock, switching to a chassis or any open channel stock should give you a free float barrel. THe LSS has plenty of room for heavy barrels. I don't shoot so fast that the barrel gets too warm, but yes, as the barrel heats my POI moves about half an inch at 300 yards if I let it get really, really warm. That does happen once in a while shooting suppressed. The money shot is always a cold bore shot, so that's the way I tend to shoot

I used the Luth-AR AR Carbine Stock (the MBA-3) on the LSS chassis. Used the cheapest buffer tube and castle nut I could find. Once you lock that stock down it does not move. Solid as a rock. Also a lot more adjustable than the Magpul PRS stock, and a lot less money. I'm old so I put a Limbsaver butt pad on the stock.

As far as weight, I'm 71 and not in great shape. I can carry that rifle, with a full 10 round mag of .308 (168 grainers), a Harris bipod, and a Vortex Viper HST 6-24X50 scope (22.6 ounces) all day long. Couldn't do that with the B&C stock. Just checked the web site. THe LSS chassis weighs 1.6 to 1.8 pounds before the buffer tube and butt stock.

Not sure I this will work or not. First time using this hosting site. Okay, it worked. There's my favorite rifle before the limb saver was added. Added a pic of the gun in the B&C stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  11. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

My new stainless steel Seven in .308 does not have a pad. I took the barreled action out of the stock for it's initial cleaning from the factory, and found no pad. Am I missing something?

BTW - The black synthetic stock on my Seven seems more substantial than the black synthetic stocks Ruger uses on the 77 Series or the American Series rifles.

12. Dang Ron that is sure a purty rifle. I like it.

Ron Eagle Elk likes this.
  13. Ron Eagle Elk

Thanks, Capt'n. I'm pretty fond of it myself. Shoots sub-MOA all day, every day. THat muzzle device is an AAC 51T flash supressor that allows me to do a quick connect with my AAC 762 suppressor. Even shooting full power .308, it's dang quiet.

jwrauch and Ten Man like this.
  14. animalspooker

I put one together for a friend of mine. He built one in 6.5 Grendel with a Howa barreled action. I'm not sure about the caliber, but I did call him yesterday and ask him about it. He says he's put a Sightron Scope on it and did a break in on the barrel (don't buy this either) but hasn't sighted it in yet. He asked if I'd do it for him, so I get to play with a MDT LSS, Howa, 6.5 creedmoor and unlimited, free ammo this weekend. I'll get to play enough that I can see if I'd like it as a hunting setup.

jwrauch likes this.
  15. Ron Eagle Elk

Not sure if you'll be shooting a 6.5 Grendel or Creedmoor, but either one is fun to shoot. Your friend likes really nice glass. I've only used one Sightron scope and it was really sweet. Just trying to figure out why someone would ask someone else to zero a rifle for them. That's kinda like asking someone to test drive a car for you, or am I missing something.

16. Ron Eagle Elk

Curious to hear what you thought of the LSS. Post your thoughts when you have a chance.

17. animalspooker

If I could only find time to shoot it???

18. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

LIFE IS ALL ABOUT PRIORITIES!