close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rifle versus Carbine

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Which would you choose & Why ?:rolleyes: :fuss:

2. johno

johno G&G Newbie

carbine, on a long raod march every ounce counts. plus its easier to carry because it's smaller

3. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Put me down in the carbine's corner also.

4. Hangfire

Hangfire G&G Newbie

I would go carbine myself. I've always liked quicker and lighter long guns.

hf

5. Heh, heh. There was a time whe a 24 inch barrel was a carbine, and "real" rifles had 30 inch barrels. I guess evereything is relative.

6. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I have a 30" barreled musket that would be called a carbine. Full length Brown Bess, now that's a long gun.

7. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

give me a rifle with a 24" barrel or better every time I want every bit of accuracy I can have.

8. In that case Shaun, you are going in the wrong direction. Shorter barrels give better accuracy, all other things equal. The reason is that shorter barrels are stiffer, and that stiffness translates into dampened barrel harmonics.

Many people equate sight plane with accuracy, and while it it true that a longer sight plane allows the human eye to center the sight in a more accurate fashion, it is not related to accuracy imputed by barrel length except as the barrel is used as the foundation for mounting the sights. OTOH, if you are using optical sights, sight plane is not an issue.

There are many, many other factors that affect accuracy, and barrel harmonics is merely one of them. However, the management of barrel harmonics can make or break accuracy in a rifle. After all, it is the principle on which USRAC's B.O.S.S. is based.

9. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

I also like the advantage that every once of powder in my loads is burned pefrfectly with my toys but many of my rifles weigh in the 10lb range so it wouldn't matter which one

10. johno

johno G&G Newbie

one adavantage to the longer barrel is less recoil and noise with the same cartridge.