Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s your favorite for deer, hogs and varmints?

For my 410 I’m using Winchester Super X 3 inch slugs
For my 20g I have Remington 2-3/4 Slugger
For my 12g, it’s Winchester Super X 2-3/4 rounds.

However I ran across some Remington 3 inch 12g 7/8 oz. Slugger High-Velocity rounds. The box claims 1875 velocity. I bought a couple of boxes, but I haven’t tried them yet.

Remington claims this on their website. The 1800 fps, listed below, is for their 2-3/4 12g slug.
“Remington® introduced the first high-velocity Foster-style lead slug. This higher velocity slug exits the barrel at 1800 fps, 13% faster than standard 1 oz. slugs. The 7/8 oz. Slugger® High Velocity delivers 200 ft-lbs more energy at 50 yards with flatter trajectory on deer than standard 1 oz. slugs. Produced in most popular slug loadings - 2 3/4" and 3" 12-gauge and 2 3/4" 20-gauge with a 1/2 oz. lead slug. Designed for the avid deer hunter using smooth bore guns.”

·
Registered
893 Posts
I assume you are shooting them in a smooth bore barrel since you use Fosters? I have used Federal, Winchester and Remington in multiple guns and not found much difference in 3 different shotguns, 2 pumps and one semi auto. In those smooth bore shotguns I could never get better than 5-6 inch groups, sometimes worse.

I went to a Rem 870 Pump with a rifled barrel and still did not do great with the Fosters. There are many sabot loads designed for rifled shotguns but they still were not great in my gun. So, I bought a bolt action shotgun and with the Hornady sabot slugs it is like a rifle, one hole, one inch groups at 100 yards. Changes the whole concept of hunting deer with a shotgun. I have shot deer with both types and of course both are devastating.

If you are going to hunt deer with slugs I would suggest a dedicated rifled slug barrel. All the bolt guns are good, and, there are several great single shot rifled deer guns out there, Thompson Center, CVA, H and R and others. In the bolts and single shots, which are more stable than pumps and semis, they are good to about 250 yards with the sabot slug.

That 3 inch slug you have probably will have some memorable recoil. Let us know.

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That 3 inch slug you have probably will have some memorable recoil. Let us know.
I will, lol. But by standing the slugs side by side, the 3 slug inch is not 1/4 taller then my 2-3/4 slugs. A fraction of a inch at most. It's also about 1/4 inch shorter then my 3 inch 410 shell.

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have to use a shotgun where I live. Big difference since I found a smoothbore cyl. barrel for shooting fosters. Oh yeah the kick in my shotgun with those will wake ya up.
I went out and shot one of both. I was using my 12 gauge pump with improved choke tube. There was a little increase in kick with the 3in Remington slug(more like 2-7/8 inch).

I also shot a couple of slugs thru the 410 modified choke. It also had a nice little kick to it.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,388 Posts
I’m mandated for deer to slugs.

I can however go to a corn field and whack coyotes with a 30 round mag of any caliber I want.

That all said. My 12 ga is a smooth bore iron sights. I use Winchester Foster slugs, 1600 FPS

For the 20, rifled, cantilever barrel with scope, Lightfield sabot slugs.

Both work well. The 20 has about twice the range.

3676db3709dbadd8-photo.jpg
a14da104eb58b1c7-photo-full.jpg
f93d10f2ce0b4013-photo.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

·
Registered
893 Posts
I went out and shot one of both. I was using my 12 gauge pump with improved choke tube. There was a little increase in kick with the 3in Remington slug(more like 2-7/8 inch).

I also shot a couple of slugs thru the 410 modified choke. It also had a nice little kick to it.
You mentioned your 3 inch slugs were only 2 7/8 inches long. The size marked on the box is the chamber length, not the shell length. Your normal 2 and 3/4 inch shells loaded will only be about 2 and 1/2 inches and the 3.5 inch shells will be about 3 and 1/4. They all expand at the folded or rolled crimp to nearly the chamber length.

You can also buy 12 gauge in 1 3/4 inch shells from Aquila as as well as 2 and 1/2 inch shells. The shorter shells supposedly give better patterns in guns with the shorter chambers. If you buy the rubber balls or buckshot they will be marked 2 and 5/8 inch and of course work in any 12 gauge gun. So what is says on the box is the chamber length or how long the empty case will be when it is fired. That is not always the case as there are back bored guns and other chamber lengths but that is the most common.

FWIW.

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I'm not mandated, I can use a rifle if I choose. I just feel it's better where I plan on hunting. Shots will be under 50 yards.

I wasn't happy with my shooting tonight. Not the guns or ammos fault, just me overthinking things.

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You mentioned your 3 inch slugs were only 2 7/8 inches long. The size marked on the box is the chamber length, not the shell length. Your normal 2 and 3/4 inch shells loaded will only be about 2 and 1/2 inches and the 3.5 inch shells will be about 3 and 1/4. They all expand at the folded or rolled crimp to nearly the chamber length.

You can also buy 12 gauge in 1 3/4 inch shells from Aquila as as well as 2 and 1/2 inch shells. The shorter shells supposedly give better patterns in guns with the shorter chambers. If you buy the rubber balls or buckshot they will be marked 2 and 5/8 inch and of course work in any 12 gauge gun. So what is says on the box is the chamber length or how long the empty case will be when it is fired. That is not always the case as there are back bored guns and other chamber lengths but that is the most common.

FWIW.
Thanks for the info.
Interesting you brought up the Aquila 1 3/4 shells. I actually shot some of the 7-1/2 shot thru my pump tonight. They cycle just fine thru it.

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts

I can however go to a corn field and whack coyotes with a 30 round mag of any caliber I want.

That all said. My 12 ga is a smooth bore iron sights. I use Winchester Foster slugs, 1600 FPS

For the 20, rifled, cantilever barrel with scope, Lightfield sabot slugs.

Both work well. The 20 has about twice the range.

View attachment 148838 View attachment 148840 View attachment 148842

Worse spot ever for that deer to hide.

Going to take the 20g deer hunting this year. It seems to easy hit minute of whitetail at 50 yards with Winchester or Remington if I do my part.

That’s a big chunk of lead.

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took my 20g out and shot some Slugger High-Velocity rounds thru it. Much better results then the other day. This thing has a sweet trigger pull for a shotgun.

two.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts