Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Remington 870 with a short slug barrel.(not rifled) Do I use Rifled Slugs or Sabot Slugs? Can I shoot Buck Shot through the slug barrel or do I have to put the original barrel on for Buck shot?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Are you sure it is a slug barrel? I am pretty sure if it is considerd a slug barrel, it will probably be rifled. Either way, you shoot rifled slugs out of a smooth bore, and sabots out of a rifled one.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
There are many smooth bore slug barrels out there, designed for use with Rifled/Foster slugs. They are distinguished by their rifle sites.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
There are probably 10 smoothbores for every one rifled barrel due to price and Remingron and Mossburg having smoothbores with their combos.A smoothbore barrel can be picked up for $50+ while a rifled barrel usually is $150+.The smoothbore usually has open sights and may be backbored from .728 to .740.The tighter bore seldom handles sabots but the .740 bore may but dont count on it.The .740 does seem to handle foster type slugs a little better.Both bores will handle all sizes of buckshot and 000 is supposed to be best.With no choke it is rare that 50% will strike a deer at 25yds and beyond 35 yds may miss completely.The power factor of a single standard 12ga 2 3/4" slug is someplace between 1000 and 1200 footpounds at the muzzle.Buckshot is the same but when it spreads you divide whatever the slug would have at a given range by the # of pellets in the shell.To expediate math if you have 1000flb,s with a slug and 10 pellets spread apart each pellet would have 100lbs ke and if 50% struck a deer the Kenetic energy absorbed by the deer would be 500lbs.A foster slug has a lot of energy at the muzzle but is almost 3/4" and drops speed and power fast having less than 500lbs at 100yds.A sabot still using 2 3/4 standard has a tight gas seal and lighter projectile and is doing more fps at the muzzle and being smaller diameter retains fps much better.For stability a spin is needed so rifled barrels work best for longer range with both foster and sabot slugs.The big disadvantage to rifled barrels is buckshot in a rifled barrel spreads rapidly due to the spin.My opinion of the beas setup for shotguns is a cantilever rifled 3" chambered barrel for longer range beyond 25yds but if you stay under 40 yds with foster type slugs they will work good with buckshot coming in at 25yds and under.You may not think much of buckshot but when used in its power and patern range it is very deadly and will give 1 shot kills which should be the thing every hunter desires.As you go up in magnums and retained power with pistol bullets you also go up in performance.I again as with hunting rifles sugest nothing larger than a 3+9-40 for their clarity,simpleness,and above all light gathering ability. sam.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Actually, Remmington makes a smooth bore barrel with rifle sights for the 870. Most of my friends use them here in Iowa
I meant that what makes a smooth bore slug barrel different from a regular open cylinder is the rifle sites, just based on what companies call their barrels. You could call my Moss 590's barrel a "slug barrel" due to its rifle sites. I may end up using it for slug hunting some day.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Hands down Rifled slugs not sabots and buckshot is okay. Rifled slug means the slug has rifling. That spins the slug in a smoth bore barrel. The Sabot sugs have a sabot, kind like a blackpwer rifle, the plastic sabot connects with the rifling in a rifled barrel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts