Rifling re-threaded?

Discussion in 'M1 Garand' started by douggr, Sep 20, 2010.

1. douggr

douggr G&G Newbie

I just bought my first Garand this week, and like everyone else I'm trying to determine how old it is, are all the parts original, etc. Being the newbie I am to garands I thought nothing of it when I looked down the barrel from the muzzle end and didn't see the rifling start until a good 5/8" from the end. After seeing pictures of other barrels I see that the rifling is supposed to go all the way to the end. Has anyone heard of this, or heard of someone re-machining the rifling before? I attached a picture (kind of lousy, but you get the idea).

Thanks for any help

Attached Files:

2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

No you cannot replace the rifling...Yours has been counterbored to remove Muzzle wear/crown damage. It wont hurt a thing per se...it will still shoot !

3. douggr

douggr G&G Newbie

here's a better pic. Ignore the white stuff on the end of the barrel. That's sheetrock from when I just droppped it trying to take this picture :dunce:

Attached Files:

4. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

like I said...Counterbored ! Thousands of Mil-surp rifles have had this done to them...

5. douggr

douggr G&G Newbie

Mooseman, thanks. If this was something I was going to make a collector's piece I woul dme upset, but this is something I plan on shooting..a lot.

6. huffmanite

huffmanite G&G Evangelist

Your bore at muzzle appears to have been what is called, counterbored. Something that is done to avoid replacing a barrel with a bore that is only bad at or near muzzle. A new barrel for a Garand kinda costly....and chance of finding a good used Garand barrel slim. Doing a counterbore saves the barrel and improves the accuracy. Not that uncommon a practice with military surplus rifles.

7. Steve

Steve Master Gunsmith Staff Member

That is just what mooseman just told him.
    Steve

8. Sorry,

I would like to give some positive feedback but in all honesty your gun
    probably would be best served if replaced with a new barrel.

It has seen better days that will not return.

9. rl69

rl69 G&G Evangelist

well nothing left to add but to welcome yo to the forum a lot of good stuff to learn from these guys but stay away from the Mosin Nagant thread they have a disease i came here to ask a question about a carbine started reading the Mosin threads now i have 3 and my eye on another one

10. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

...and Garands are not just as addicting???? :09:

I have the CMP on speed dial!!!

11. rl69

rl69 G&G Evangelist

lol thats why i haven't got certified with them yet

12. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

1 M1 Garand
    4 M1 Carbines,
    and 13 Mosins....I'm not addicted !

13. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

Glad I'm not the only one.. :27:

14. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    I'm not addicted, I'm in denial
    [​IMG]

15. rl69

rl69 G&G Evangelist

16. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

3 springfields
    1 H&R
    1 Winchester

Orlando...you have competition!

17. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Enthusiast

Your rifle has been counterbored. It was necessary to maintain accuracy as a damaged crown must have occurred to require it. Ok, just kidding it has been said already. It must have needed it, or it wouldn't have been done. That is the first Garand, or US military surplus firearm that I have ever seen counterbored! Can you tell us how it shoots yet?

18. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Enthusiast

I'm not sure you ever signed your Garand up in the roll call thread :D

19. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    JFYI, Counterboring is not a USGI Arsenal fix. Barrel would have been replaced. This was done by a civilian

20. Felix's Tattoo

Felix's Tattoo G&G Evangelist

M1 bore

The rifling wasn't obliterated on the muzzle end by too much cleaning rod action banging against it, was it?
    I had 14, am down to 7 M1s now. Half Winnies, half Springfields. One of the Springers is a .308 now.