Rimfire/Shotgun/BP 50yd Audio Chronograph (BETA TEST)

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by Joshua M. Smith, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Joshua M. Smith

Joshua M. Smith G&G Enthusiast

Hello,

Here's something you might find fun to play with if you get bored:

22RF 50yd Audio Chronograph BETA.xlsx

You'll need a 50yd range, a sound editor/analyzer with graphical readout - Audacity ( Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder ) is totally free - and it helps if you have something that makes a lot of noise - like steel - at 50 yards. You need to hear the report and the impact (or, rather, the software needs to).

This particular chrono program is geared specifically to the .22lr at 50 yards. It opens with Microsoft Excel. Just plug the numbers in and you should get readings very close to those of a standard chronograph.

I've not tested it at ranges longer than 50yds, and so I just locked in 50 yards (unless you would like to manually change it).

Should work pretty well for muzzleloaders and slug guns - anything that might destroy the skyscreens of a standard chronograph - as well.

The average velocity should be about +/- 2% or so, but the MV is going to be off - and it'll be off even more so the further distance you move.

Have fun, and I hope to hear feedback, both positive and negative!

Thanks,

Josh

2. Thanks, but I have a chronograph. It cost less than $100 and it is lighter and smaller than my laptop. In addition, it is not constrained to 50 yards. Often, I shoot for accuracy and record velocity for each shot. Limiting the range to 50 yards would not allow useful accuracy testing to be done simultaneous with the velocity measurements.

3. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

What Pilgrim said, but mine was $120 - it's a Shooting Chrony Beta Master model. Being more interested in accuracy than velocity, my primary use for it is to see if my reloads are consistent, operating on the theory that nearly the same velocity shot after shot will mean nearly the same set of harmonic vibrations will occur in the barrel so any great deviation in point of impact is probably my fault rather than the fault of the gun or the load.

Besides, if I have an accident and drop something at the range, I'd rather it not be a laptop, which costs considerably more than the chrony.

For that matter, the last time I was at the range, I left the spotting scope and chrony at home. While all that stuff is nice, it was not pertinent to the work I was doing at the time and packing up/loading/unloading/carting to the shooting point/setting up/tearing down/carting back to the car/yada-yada-yada and putting it all away again when I get home takes some of the fun out of just going out and shooting.

But Josh, it seems you are really getting into this thing and the bug has bitten you pretty hard. Do you have a particular goal in mind with all the experiments you're working on, or is it just for curiosity and messing around fun?

4. Joshua M. Smith

Joshua M. Smith G&G Enthusiast

Hello,

It's likely working up into something. Not sure yet.

You see, I come up with ideas. Back in 2000 or so, I came up with a somewhat revolutionary bullet design and tried to share it with folks on the now defunct Shooters.com . I couldn't explain it well and this was before cameras and scanners were widely used.

A couple of years later, Federal came out with a design that was actually an improvement on my design. Cor Bon followed suit.

I can't say with absolute certainty that this was not a case of parallel invention, but the timing strikes me as odd.

I should have drawn up schematics and patented the bullet.

Now I have the ability to cast bullets etc. I have an expanding AP bullet under design right now. I just need to move to the next phase - building and testing. But it would keep another Hollywood shootout from happening in the same way.

As for the rimfire experiments, like I said, it will likely lead someplace. Dunno where yet, though.

Josh