Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Our 19 year old kitty "Smokey" passed away last night. He passed away in Mrs. K's lap. It was expected, but still isn't easy. Mrs. K, is inconsolable ATM. He was a great cat, and a mentor to the other cats in the house. He was a great companion to everyone in our household.

We love you Smokey. You will be missed. :(

·
Registered
24,828 Posts
The passing of a pet is always hard on us. It is the loss of a family member.

The best I can offer is to remember the good moments, and allow time to help ease the pain.

·
Registered
11,415 Posts
:( Our 19 year old kitty "Smokey" passed away last night. He passed away in Mrs. K's lap. It was expected, but still isn't easy. Mrs. K, is inconsolable ATM. He was a great cat, and a mentor to the other cats in the house. He was a great companion to everyone in our household.

So sorry to hear it. He must've had a great 19 years. He was fortunate to find you and Ms. K.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I thank all of you, for your kind words. I'll pass them on to Mrs. K.

He was the loudest, most vocal animal I've ever known. He used the toilet, would talk back to you.... LOUDly. He could literally bark like a dog (Never seen anything like it), made really funny vocals at feeding time, was a great mouser in his days. His favorite activity (aside from eating), was sitting in one of our laps, and staring at the fire, in the fire pit. We called him our "fire cat". He would literally sit there for hours.

Night before last, Mrs. K took him outside, and sat with him in her lap, at the fire, in our chiminea. She took video, and sent it to me at work. He really seemed to be enjoying himself, one last time. He died, 24hrs later. He was a great cat.

I buried him in the side yard this morning, and covered him with a granite slab. Not a fun thing to have to do. :(

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So sorry to hear it. He must've had a great 19 years. He was fortunate to find you and Ms. K.
Thank You. Yeah, for a cat, he really had a great, and enriched life. We had his older "sister" put down, three years ago. She was 17. I buried him next to her. They were very close. They grew up together.

I don't really believe this, but I hope some how, some way, they're reunited in the cat spirit world.

·
Registered
8,163 Posts
Sorry to hear it! We've been there a few times. The other day, we were petting the Yorkie, just before going to bed, & my wife commented about how folks would think we were crazy for loving her so much. I teased her with "How can ya love a dog?" She looked at me like I was the crazy one! :p Then she realized I was just teasing her.:)

·
Registered
567 Posts

Sorry for you family. I know it hurts.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
33,987 Posts
We lost our Senior Cat, Halloween, a few months ago. She was 16 or 17; the folks who had her before us weren't sure how old she was when they got her. She was a bit of a curmudgeon, but the last couple of years of her life she warmed up to us. She just slept away at the end and I buried her in the garden wrapped up in an old sweater of Her Imperial Majesty's that Halloween liked to sleep on. A sad day.

But next month we are getting two kittens from a friend who rescues and fosters kittens. We're going to be getting a black female love bug named Morticia, and her littermate Gomez, a white kitten with a black splotch between his ears that looks like Gomez's hairdo from the Addams Family cartoons done by Charles Addams.

Going to be interesting introducing them to the rest of the household. The only one I am really concerned about is Tommy; he can be a bully.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Sorry to hear that .... Ditto on the it's hard to lose a Pet, and even harder to have to put one down.

Glad you got to spend so long with your "Lion in the Living Room"... So far I've never had one get there (my oldest is 7), All of the ones I've lost have just gone missing (inside / outside cats) never to be found. Lost my last "Best Buddy" about 4 months ago (got him and his brother as feral's just after birth and raised them, He was 2 yrs old) Never found him so I think it's likely that a hawk got him as we're on the edge of town and not many other predators around. Glad you had such a long time to spend with him!

·
Premium Member
23,326 Posts
Well shucks man, RIP to your Smokey. It's tough losing them.
After you all have had some time to heal go to a shelter and get another one. Millions of cats and dogs get put down every year due to the lack of adopters and also people who refuse to spay/neuter...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts