Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this old hunter dosn't get out much but the backyard sq are not yet safe. heard some sq barking outside the shop window. went out to check carrying my trusty old $20 chinese air gun. the sq ran up a tree and posed in a crotch about 20 ft . pfft plop. looked down to reload just in case i needed a second shot . looked up to see the sq leaving about 4 feet off the ground being carried by a large hawk.no sq lunch today.馃槸

Registered
a friend had a problem with grackles, so he started shooting them. a red shouldered hawk figured out that when he heard a shot there was a free meal. from then until the hawk migrated, whenever we shot in his yard, even if there wasn't any grackles around, the hawk would fly up into the big cypress tree and look for a meal.

Super Moderator
Had something similar happened to me when I was about nine years old. I was out playing with my new puppy running around the house having it chase me. It was across the yard and I hollered for it, as it was running to me a hawk swooped down and scooped it up. I never saw it again.

Registered
The neighbor across the street had chipmunks and one decided to cross the street and take residence next to my flowerbeds. Bought a rat trap, baited it up and waited, a couple of hours later a chipmunk was caught so I took the trap and victim to the back yard and laid it on the grass knowing a hawk typically flew his route. It didn't take long for the grab and go meal to be gone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts