Rock Island 45's

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by bowser, Jun 5, 2002.

1. bowser

bowser Guest

I'm looking around trying to decide on a mid or compact 45 for carry. I'm not looking for a match grade pistol like the Kimber, Les Baer, and such. Just a reliable, moderately priced, 45. So far, I think the newer AO looks nice, though I have not been able to see one in person, and I also like the looks of the Rock Island Armory piece. I've already read from all of you about the AO, now I'd like to hear the opinions of RIA. For the money, they look to be a nice deal. MCRGO in Mi has now produced a commemorative .45, using the full sized RIA. Looks real nice online. You can check out some close-up shots of the engraving here: www.mcrgo.org
    Thanks in advance.

2. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    months ago, I think on the old site there was a lenghtly discussion on the RI 45 Unfortunately, Iv'e slept since then :)
    I am too looking for a decent American made 45 without going broke. Just has to be a good shooter. I have had the Chi Com Norinco for 12 yrs, yeah it's a good gun but I somehow feel guilty for owning it. sounds nuts I know. I guess I'm going for that pride of ownership deal.

3. bowser

bowser Guest

I remember that discussion being there, but I don't remember if there was more good things or bad things to say. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and order the RIA compact, and if I don't like it, I'll get rid of it. When I get it, I'll let you know what I think of it.

4. jerry

USA
    appreciate that for sure! sorry couldn't be more help. May want to give this post a day or two more if not rushed.

5. bowser

bowser Guest

I went to Guns Galore in Fenton, and they had the full size Rock Island there. I was not impressed.
    It had the military-type parkerized finish, which was O.K. with me, but the frame was a totally different color than the slide, workmanship was decent, but for the money... I guess you get what you pay for. So, after looking at and handling 10 or 12 different new and used ones, I decided on the Springfield "Loaded" Compact. Alloy shortened frame, Commander size slide, Novak night sights, extended beaver tail, adjustable trigger, bull barrel(no bushing), and I also liked the lock system that S.A. is using as well. Looking at the S.A. website that gun MSRP is $782, they sold it to me for $635 OTD. Pretty good deal, I thought. This weekend plan on going to the range, shoot this a few times to get used to it, and sight in the .454 with the holosight for deer season this fall.

6. jerry

USA
    Thanx for the feed back, good info. Springs are nice indeed. by the way it sounds, the RI would be a good "mud" gun or something to build on. let us know how your new toy does.

7. bowser

bowser Guest

So I went out a couple times this past week, after ordering a "tuna can" of USGI 45 from SOG. At 25 ft. two handed resting on the bench, I can put a clip full(6) inside 3 inches. I am not the best at shooting semiautos, I am much more acustomed to the revolvers for the time being. Out at 25 yards from the same position it is much worse. 6-8 inch groups of 6. Although I'm not too happy with the ammo, I guess I shouldn't expect much from nearly 60 year old ammo. There's a lot of soot, after 50 rounds, a failure to eject is not uncommon, had probably 8 after 150 rounds. 5 times I had to strike twice on the primer, first click was nothing. Recock the hammer, bangs like the rest. Shot some new ammo that another guy had there, after all the hangups with the milsurp, and the gun functioned fine, so I will blame all the problems on the ammo. I like the night sights, they are COOL. I just need to get out with some good new production ammo, and get some more practice time. What do you think of Speer Lawman?
    I was looking around the web, and found 1K rounds for 200+shipping at theoutdoorscenter.com

8. wes

wes Guest

I have the LW Champion. No complaints at all,I use it as my carry gun,and I won't carry a gun that I don't trust to work all the time. Be sure to check that old ammo,a lot was corrosive.

9. jerry

USA
    Ammo will make or break a gun. CCI/ Speer is good quality ammo. I'd buy a box off the shelf first before investing in any mass qty. of fodder for any weapon. The brass will make good reloads someday. For the volume your talking about here it might behoove you to consider that route. I pound away all day with my 1911 with 200 gn LSWC's I have the loads tuned where they group well, don't punish me or the gun and the brass fall predictably to the ground. I can almost hit a 5 gallon bucket with empties, or at least around it. continue to practice and whatever ammo you want to buy in bulk try a box of 50 first.

10. bowser

bowser Guest

All Im looking at doing right now is getting a good supply of brass for reloading, and have some good ammo for practice. The way I'm thinkin is if I order the factory loads, I already will have a thousand rounds to play with now, I can save some of the original factory loads, and have plenty of brass for reloading a lot of different ways. I should have said this in the previous message. My only reason for buying the old surplus was that it was cheaper that alot of the other ammo that I had found at that time, and the can is kinda cool, too. I just wanted to go shoot, and save a little money in the process. That was all. There is NO WAY I would have considered that as a self defense load. I don't even think I am going to save the brass, unless you or any one else thinks it is worth it. SOG advertised it as reloadable, but I don't know if I'm gonna bother with it. I was gonna just buy some good practice/reloadable ammo, that's why I was looking at bulk quantities. I have been treating that ammo as it is corrosive. As soon as I get home I strip it down and clean and lightly oil everything.

Thanks for the replies, though.

11. jerry

USA