Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a RIA revolver yesterday. 3" barrel; 6 shot; 9mm; uses moon clips; patterned after a S&W K-frame.

The revolver trigger crisp and feels great single action - crisp and I "guesstimate" about 4 pounds. But I'll check it out later. It's a little heavy in double action but that can be adjusted and should wear in pretty well.
The gun is made in the Czech Republic and fit and finish is pretty nice. Not quite as fine as a S&W but still quite attractive. Grips are a hard rubber and fit my hand very well - I had a full purchase with my little finger.
It came with 2 moon clips - which I wished had been more like 10. I didn't see that Armscor sells those but I found some on Amazon no less.

I shot about 40 rounds at a 4" diameter "tumble target" starting at 10 yards and it flopped it's way out to about 20 yards with each good hit. Accuracy was decent on those. I found that I had to hold on the top edge of the disks to make that tumble well. The sights are adjustable but I didn't make any adjustments yet - this was a matter of holding my sight picture on the top edge and I was hitting about 1/2 to 1" below the edge. I did not try groups on paper as yet. Time didn't permit that.
The ammo was 115 FMJ "Herter's" brand from Cabelas.
Recoil from the gun wasn't bad. A little stiffer than I had initially expected, but about like a similar sized 38 special with target ammo.

Did I need a 9mm revolver? Of course! Well, not really, but I was intrigued with it. The dealer had shown it to me a few days ago and it captured my thoughts. So I traded a Bersa Thunder 380 that I just never used much at all.
Nothing wrong with.the Bersa. It functioned as it was supposed to and fired very well; but i just never really warmed up to it. Plus 380 ammo is pretty scarce. So I traded that and 250 rounds of ammo towards the 9mm revolver.
It should be fun to play with and see what I can make it do.

I traded a Bersa Thunder 380 that I just never used much at all.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had no idea they did a 9mm version.

I hope they still do one in .357 as I'd love another Magnum revolver.

How do these compare size wise to something like the old Colt Cobra or the S&W K frame?
This one is pretty close to a K-frame in size and shape (but not the same, for sure). I read in a review that leather holsters for a K will fit it. I have one somewhere but have not tried it yet (it's buried somewhere).
The Colt Cobra - I've never handled one so I can't tell you how that compares.

I don't know about the 357s but the website lists them. The LGS only had this one Armscor revolver. The 357 revolver he had was an EAA. I have enough 357s so I wasn't interested.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
This one is pretty close to a K-frame in size and shape (but not the same, for sure). I read in a review that leather holsters for a K will fit it. I have one somewhere but have not tried it yet (it's buried somewhere).
The Colt Cobra - I've never handled one so I can't tell you how that compares.

I don't know about the 357s but the website lists them. The LGS only had this one Armscor revolver. The 357 revolver he had was an EAA. I have enough 357s so I wasn't interested.
The cobra is smaller. I just measured a Cobra 38 and Model 65 SW a K frame, The cylinder is not much smaller about 1.40 vs 1.46 but that is 38 vs 357. If you measure the frame at the barrel down to the bottom in front of the trigger guard, on the frame 357 is a lot bigger. The K is 2.30 vs 2.08 inches for the Cobra. The K frame is too big to fit the Cobra holster. It does not sound like much. But if you measure from the back of the cylinder to say the front of the frame it is over 2/10 inch. Add all of those dimensions together and you need a bigger holster. I put the Cobra in the K frame holster and it just wobbles around. FWIW

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
Myself I'm the other way. Got more 9mm pistols than I can shake a cleaning rod at😁

And no revolvers currently. ☹

I've got a bunch of components and loaded .38spl +p ammo but nothing to shoot them in.☹

So this fall I'll probably be looking for one of these: The .357mag version of this.
Track down a unicorn and see if it has a saddle bag with a Ruger Speed Six inside.😁
Get another S&W 442 new or used.(probably get this regardless of first or second choice).

Since as I age I'm planning to segway from the can do to the teach dept with Firearms.

So I want to keep a small diverse amount of Firearms as training range loaners for beginners and my own use.

I also like a little utilitarian diversity of handguns for different weather/dress and location.

One of these in 9mmP might come in handy for certain types of use in a NPE. Hmmmm..🤔

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Gun test did a test including a RIA in 357 last year. Of the 3 guns, Colt, Rossi and RIA is was by far the most accurate. This one looks pretty nice. These days the quality of revolvers is pretty darn good. I have a pile of Smith and Wessons, old and new some 100 years old, some 2 years old, so lots to compare. Everybody makes good guns these days. I have Rossi 357 that is superior to any Smith and Wesson that I own in terms of accuracy. I also own RIAs in 1911 and use their frames for 1911s that I build. So, I would have zero worries about any of their revolvers. Not originally a fan of the moon clip feature I am now just fine with it. They work remarkably well. After buying the SW Governor, I ordered about 75 of them, now, I can shoot a very long time with my range box and you can just leave a few in your vehicle and never worry about back up ammo. Give us a follow-up after you shoot it a while more.

If you shop around on Ebay the moon clips can be found pretty cheap in bulk. Ranch products and the after market OEM are both great, never had a single issue with them.

Compact 357s from Rossi, Rock Island Armory, and Colt - Gun Tests | The Consumer Resource for the Serious Shooter (gun-tests.com)

·
Registered
21,475 Posts
I've never seen any Czech-made RIA revolvers, but a couple of regulars and I talked about buying some of the Philippine-made RIA revolvers and spit-polishing them a bit. Those guns are well-built, accurate, and have a halfway decent trigger. The external finish is practically WWII war-time production level, though.

Literally seconds of polishing the trigger, and the darn things can hang in competition with far more expensive S&W and Colt revolvers of the same barrel length, that have had more work done.

A bit of time polishing the outside, and no one would know they weren't an expensive revolver.

I don't think the Czechs have ever made a junk gun, or a badly finished one.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Wow! thats a great find and a great trade i think!

i'd be willing to be this gun has for more use and potential than that .380, other than summer concealed carry maybe.

but yeah man that thing is cool, especially if you already have a bunch of 9mm ammo.

this is making me think i should trade in/ sell my only .380.... hmm thoughts abrewing

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That video describes the gun very accurately.
I did try inserting it into a Bianchi #111 holster I have for my S&W 617. The AL9.0 fits just a tad looser but it's a really good fit just the same. So now I will shop for a 3" holster.
The single action pull is like the guy said. I guessimate just over 4# and it's fairly smooth and breaks clean. Double action is fairly still but still controllable. I haven't measured the pull weights as yet though. I do think the trigger will get even better as it breaks in.

I have some moon clips on order, although they are not as cheap as I hoped. There are not a lot of listings for this particular gun. I'm hoping to find some dimensions so I can compare some clips for a different gun that might fit this.`

So far the only negative - but it isn't much of a negative - is the sights. Like the video says, it's a good sight picture. But I do prefer a thicker front sight with a rear notch that shows just a little daylight on each side. But it's not a problem. I'm used to S&W sights, And this does come close.

·
Banned
222 Posts
I picked up a RIA revolver yesterday. 3" barrel; 6 shot; 9mm; uses moon clips; patterned after a S&W K-frame.

The revolver trigger crisp and feels great single action - crisp and I "guesstimate" about 4 pounds. But I'll check it out later. It's a little heavy in double action but that can be adjusted and should wear in pretty well.
The gun is made in the Czech Republic and fit and finish is pretty nice. Not quite as fine as a S&W but still quite attractive. Grips are a hard rubber and fit my hand very well - I had a full purchase with my little finger.
It came with 2 moon clips - which I wished had been more like 10. I didn't see that Armscor sells those but I found some on Amazon no less.

I shot about 40 rounds at a 4" diameter "tumble target" starting at 10 yards and it flopped it's way out to about 20 yards with each good hit. Accuracy was decent on those. I found that I had to hold on the top edge of the disks to make that tumble well. The sights are adjustable but I didn't make any adjustments yet - this was a matter of holding my sight picture on the top edge and I was hitting about 1/2 to 1" below the edge. I did not try groups on paper as yet. Time didn't permit that.
Recoil from the gun wasn't bad. A little stiffer than I had initially expected, but about like a similar sized 38 special with target ammo.

Did I need a 9mm revolver? Of course! Well, not really, but I was intrigued with it. The dealer had shown it to me a few days ago and it captured my thoughts. So I traded a Bersa Thunder 380 that I just never used much at all.
Nothing wrong with.the Bersa. It functioned as it was supposed to and fired very well; but i just never really warmed up to it. Plus 380 ammo is pretty scarce. So I traded that and 250 rounds of ammo towards the 9mm revolver.

View attachment 164706
That gun is nice!!

Reactions: Junction15

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since I first posted about this, I have fired about 300 rounds through it. It gets smoother every time I shoot it.
It carries really well when I'm mowing the fields. Although unsurprisingly, I haven't seen any coyotes while on the tractor.
I ended up getting a 1791-brand holster for a 4" S&W. I was thinking I would just cut it down to three inches. But the holster looks too good, and fits too nice to cut it down.
My only downside has been feeling "guilty" for carrying the 9mm revolver instead of my 327 Fed Mag SP101. The Ruger might be feeling "neglected".

·
Registered
612 Posts

View attachment 164706
I like that revolver.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts