close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rock Island 'Mid-size'

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Eric, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    I know there has been ALOT of discussion on this forum and the previous one on the RIA 45s. But it's always been on the mil-spec version with 5" barrel. I planning on ordering two of the mid-size (commander) RIAs tom. or the next day. They seem to be a good deal. They come with all the bells and whistles. I was just wondering, everybody seems to think the mil-spec one is fine. Has anyone seen, shot or even owned one of the mid-size or even the compact. i'd like to hear any opinions on it before I order them, just in case there is something really wrong with the smaller RIAs. TIA, Good Shooting!

2. GARY D

GARY D G&G Newbie

Eric,

I own a full size RIA that I engraved as one of 100 commemorative guns that our guns rights group, MCROG, is selling. When we ordered the sample full size 1911 we also got a couple of compacts to compare them to. Unfortunately I didn't get one :mad: but I did get to handle it and the fella that got one is VERY PLEASED with it. No comparison to the full size. The fit and finish were excellent on this gun and it really felt good in my hand. Shiny, even bluing job. Nice stock grips and bull barrel. My buddy is using it as his carry gun. I would say it's a good piece.

OH BTW- If you go to change the grip screws to stailess or black allen head, you'll find they aren't standard 1911 grip screw thread. If you need some email me and I can help you.

3. Rock Island 45s

Am new to this forum and have missed any previous discussion about the quality of the RI 45s. Saw one today at the range store, was favorably impressed, and the price is very reasonable. (I can buy two RIs for the price of one Colt).

Just concerned it's too reasonable. I'm looking for an M1911A1 type that won't cost two arms and more legs than I have, but will function reliably and safely whenever I do want to shoot it. Would appreciate advice, impressions, opinions, etc.

TIA

4. GARY D

GARY D G&G Newbie

Re: Rock Island 45s

Previously I posted that I own an RIA 1911. Well I now own 2 and know of 98 more and so far as far as I know all have been pleased with the gun. It may not be the top of the line but my newest one has ONE REALLY FINE FINISH for a Parkerized gun. When I first saw it and felt it I could have sworn it was blued. I'm very pleased with quality of the piece and one of these days I'll even take it out and shoot it :p

As a mil spec 1911 it is OK!

5. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I'm a Kimber owner, but RIA makes a fine gun.....

6. Thanx for the info.