Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Rossi .223 single shot, youth model, regular barrel with 1 in 12 twist. I sighted in with 55 gr. ammo at 25 yds, havent got to take any 100 yd shots yet. The group was in the 1" bulleye but i thought i would be stacking lead. I want to shoot coyotes mainly, and i was wondering if the 45 gr. would be better or if that has anything to do with the accuracy. Any ammo help is welcome.

·
Registered
980 Posts
try several brands and weights of ammo till you find one that you rifle realy likes then stock up on it.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
A good first rule with a new gun

Try a wide variety of bullet weights with rounds from different manufacturers. It is common to search for a cartridge your gun "likes". I would definitely prefer the heavier bullet
for a coyote. If you handload the search may often include minute adjustments to power weight as you work your way through this situation. Take heart - there is always the one round that consistently hits the sweet spot.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Give it a chance.Most barrels dont shoot to good until after 100rds. sam.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a very similar problem with the .223, but I have had mine for ove 2 years- very frustrating! here is the problem My remington 700 never shoots well. The groups are never tighter than 1 1/2 inches in diameter, and thats consistant at 100 yards. I used a variety of ammunition, as a matter of fact everything I could get my hands on, from premier handloads- 50gr and 55gr-soft point, HP, FMJ, and all of those in BT. I have tried rounds with several different gr's of powder, and have tried store bought american rounds from American Eagle, to Winchester and everyone in between. I have even purchased PMC rounds. I have tried everything shy of Wolf because I would never put that garbage laquer in my rifle. The scope is fine, the hairs are not loose and it doesn't vibrate. There is no damage to the gun, I even had 2 different gunsmiths and several friends check it out.
What could be causing this problem? The lack of tight groups at 100 yds is heartbreaking. I have heard possibly trying 65 gr bullets, which I did and didn't help, and I have heard the twist rate in the 700 .223 may be too fast. I am open to all ideas, friends assure me it is the ammunition, but no matter what I try no ammunition seems to work. I really appreciate your help, Thanks

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Johnnydangerous: you state you had others check your rifle out>Did you have them shoot it?If it is still inaccurate with a different shooter have the bore scoped.I had a Ruger that after about 5 shots would throw bullets all over.Clean it and it was fine.When we borescoped it we found a spot near the muzzle that would start building copper up.this couldnt be seen by the naked eye but with 25x magnification it was easy to see. You dont state whether it is bolt or what.Up until recently you could only get .223 in 1in12" in bolt guns.But they are wrong in saying the twist is too fast.With 1in12" you should be able to stabilise 50grs great. sam.

·
Registered
2 Posts
700 is a bolt action

Thanks for the quick response, the point you brought up seems very good some shots are quite accurate and others are thrown, destroying the group. And yes I have had several different people shoot the gun, all of which had a lot of problems with it forming a group. Thaks again for the suggestion, I will have the bore checked with magnification, and let you know if that is the problem.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,839 Posts
in laymans terms, the 1:12 twist will typically work with the lighter projectiles 55 & under, with some exceptions.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
shooting at 25yds and not getting tight groups. could be one of several issues. #1 would be the shooter. #2 could be the rifle. could also be scope, or scope mounting issues. # if your not using an AO scope, you could be having some pretty good parralax error. last but not least, your rifle just might not loke the ammo your using

·
Registered
741 Posts
Most break-action single-shots will not produce tack-driving accuracy. (Note I said most will not. There are exceptions.) Marginal trigger, inconsistent lockup, two-piece stock, and long lock time are working against you. This is why benchrest shooters shoot bolt guns..................

Handloading may improve the situation. Trim cases. For the break SS, you will probably have to full-length resize. Rossi advertises a 1-12 twist, so bullets heavier than 62 grains are probably out.

johnnydangerous, 1.5" groups are not that bad. Certainly not worth despairing over. Try neck-sizing and trimming your brass. That really helped a 700 in .222 for me. Remington used to use 1-12 twist exclusively. That's too slow for heavy bullets, but should shoot 62s and lighter just fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The lack of accuracy with a high power rifle scope @ 25 yds may be attributed to SCOPE PARALAX. I had a Ruger 10-22 that I had a high powered rifle scope. I couldn't figure out why it would group about 4" @ 25 yds, but @ 50 yds, would group about 2.5", and @ 75 yds, would group about 2". A guy at a gun store told me to replace the big scope with one made for a 22 rifle, which I did. That solved the problem because the paralax of a high powered rifle scope is usually set for about 100 yds, but a 22 scope paralax is set for about 50 yds.

So the accuracy of you scoped 223 might improve when you sight in at 100 yds instead of 25 yds. Good Luck. Hope this info helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts