1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
this may be the next one!

20 in. bbl. 1 in 30in. twist 2.75 kg.:veryhappy:

$500

somebody warned me about the recoil of this one.
he didnt know i own and fire mosins or that i own and fire a pistol chambered for that round.:scool:

i want a tang sight on it.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
That 1in30" doesnt sound right to me.Could be fine in a non-hunting situation but may limit you to light bullets which would not be good.I also wonder about Rossi (Or any other lever except possibly Marlin and Browning) handling the 65K pressure put out by the .454.It looks nice. sam.

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
A Model '92 In .454 Casull!
Rossi's little Puma Model '92 carbine chambered for the .454 Casull was the surprise of the 2002 Shot Show. Many said putting a cartridge rated at 65,000 psi into a lever action design dating back to 1892 couldn't or shouldn't be done. At first, I was a bit skeptical myself.
Having owned and hunted with Winchester '92s in .2520, .32-20 and .44-40 my whole life, I vividly remember the days when converting original '92s into .357 and .44 magnums was the rage. Many of those conversions did not work out well. The result was a lot of fine, original 1892s shot loose with battered locking lugs and lug seats when stoked with higher pressure cartridges.
Frankly, there's no Winchester design that gets my adrenaline going faster than a Model 1892. Featuring two large, vertical sliding locking lugs that secure the bolt to the frame, Browning's design is inherently strong and slick. The design is essentially a miniaturized Model 1886 Winchester, long renowned for its strength and smoothness.
When the Puma .454 arrived, the first thing I did was to call Glen Ruh at Legacy Sports International to ask him how Rossi had been able to adapt the 1892 design to the hot Casull cartridge. Ruh explained that the metallurgy and heat treatment had been modified to handle the high pressure and that the carbine had been thoroughly torture tested by H.P. White Laboratories using standard factory ammunition.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
That Rossi would make a fine companion to your Raging Bull.

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, how did it shoot?
The first surprise was how well the carbine moderated the recoil of the .454 Casull round that can be rather taxing in a handgun. The recoil from the carbine won't bother any experienced shooter. If I had to make a comparison when shooting Hornady's hot 300-grain ammunition, my sense would be that it's about on par with firing a 150-grain load From a 71/2 pound 7mm Rem. Mag. rifle. I initially tested three factory loadings at 50 yards with the following results for three shot groups:
LOAD VELOCITY GROUPWinchester Super-X 250 gr. JHP 1,583 fps 1 1/2" Winchester Supreme 260 gr. 2,275 fps 1 1/2" Partition Gold Hornady 300 gr. XTP-Mag. 2,030 fps 1"Talk about power packed in a small package!
Focus for a moment on the Hornady loading alone. Both Winchester and Federal offer a 300-grain loading for the .45-70 with a quoted velocity of 1,880 fps. Here we have a pistol cartridge (albeit working at higher pressures) exceeding the velocity of a .45-70 by 8 percent and muzzle energy by 16 percent. By any standard this is remarkable performance from a 20-inch barreled carbine. Wait until Rossi chambers their Model 92 rifle with its 24-inch barrel in .454. Ballistic performance and accuracy will both improve.

·
Registered
362 Posts
glad to see someone else who enjoys their lever guns. love mine also billy have had it for a few years, also have the 480, 44, 357, and my favorite the 45 withthe large loop lever. and yes the 454 does shoot very well, even when you race it a little. want some fun try walking bowling ppins with it. its a lot of fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts