Gun and Game Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
I owned a stainles model 62 that was bought for me by my father. Unfortunately a recent divorce has caused the gun to go missing. I would love to have that peice of my childhood back even if it is not the exact same gun. Therefore, I am actively looking for the Rossi model 62 that has been in this thread. I know Taurus has been manufacturing the new ones however I am not a fan of the safety on those models. Please let me know if anone has one in good condition or knows someone that would be willing to sell it. I keep checking Gunbroker.com and gunsamerica.com but rarely does one show up in good shape. Please help!
hi my father had baught one when he passed away my older brother got it when he passed away i got i have found out it has never been shot not sure how old it is it looks like it came right out of the box not a single scratch or mar it is the stainless one

· Registered
1 Posts
rossi 22 pump

i've had my 62sac since 81' still shoots good, shot it at a range in nyc [west side rifle] to date have 'bout 40,000 rds thru it , used to take it on the subway, cased of course. try that now! not a good gun for beginners, trigger pull is 'bout 2lbs and only a half cock safety. once cocked you gotta lower hammer as you squeeze trigger, can be a dicey deal. still a great gun though.

· Registered
2 Posts
I don't know much about the Rossi but my grandfather has an original Whinchester 1890 and it's one of my favorite guns to shoot. I've heard that the Rossi is pretty accurate to the original and I would highly recommend it for beginers even my 12 year old brother can shoot well with it.

· Registered
1 Posts
my first rifle

In 1973 my uncle gave me my first rifle, which was a Rossi pump action .22.
It brakes down to two pieces with a hand screw. I always refered to it as a "backpack gun". It does not have a safety but rather is on safety with half cocking the hammer. It has a beautiful, smooth walnut stock and pump handle. The gun was not new when he gave it to me and I would love to date it, but I can't find the resource on line, where it took me 5 seconds to date my pre '64 Model 94 Winchester.
I am teaching my boys to shoot with it. It is still as acturate as the date I first shot it. It has brought down scores of squirrels, ground hogs and even a mangey fox that came on the property.

· Registered
1 Posts
Pump 22 Rossi

Anybody know anything about those Rossi Carbine Pump .22lr's? I would like my son to have one. I see them at gun shows and such for under $200...
I have a Rossi pump 22 i use it as a saddle rifle when im riding in the country, this rifle is great light wt i shoot 22 shorts,L,lR, and 22 hollow points my drand son shoots it quite often he's 8.

· Registered
23 Posts
I had one of the Gallery Rifles in stainless. It had a flip-switch on the top of the receiver that would disconnect the firing-pin. One had to pump the action rather vigorously, or it would have feeding problems. It would not feed CCI shot-shells with any degree of reliability. Nothing like chasing #8 shot all across the floor from a busted plastic cap on a shot-shell. If you did not REALLY tighten the take-down screw....it would easily work loose.

I sold the gun, but ran across the original box the other day. I think I still have the paperwork in the box as well as a stock. Those came with the youth and adult stock. I think I have the adult size that has never been on a gun.

Little gun likely needed more shooting to loosen-up and would have been fine. Somebody else wanted it worse than I did.

I guess..."for sale....box, manual and spare stock"!

· Registered
1,187 Posts
My Rossi 62 sa

Having just purchased a like new used, white one, I'll share with you folks what I know. The 62sa I have was made before the Taurus safety came to play.

Last week I took mine to the indoor range and fired off several different brands of .22s I had on hand. I think the front post sight and rear are adequate for my needs. The trigger is pretty nice, but then again I'm more accustomed to more crude milsurp triger pulls. My biggest gripe was the heavy, dragging over a gravel road, feel of the action slide. Talk about a poor fit of parts, this was as bad as they get.

First I made sure it was unloaded, then took it down and removed the forend and mag tube, then reassembled the rifle without the forend and felt for how easily it cycled. Much better but still kind of gritty feeling. I noticed that the magazine tube was not in alignment with its hole in the receiver, so I drifted the rear tube ring over some until the tube just dropped in on its own. I removed the breech bolt, felt for burrs and ran a stone lightly over any sharp parts that slid against one another. I rinsed the parts with clean mineral spirits then oiled everything lightly.

I colored the barrel with black marker 'bout where the forend might rub, then reassembled the rifle. After opening and closing the action several times, it did feel better, but I could feel a definite tight spot between the wood and barrel. I tore the rifle down again and inspected the wood and barrel fit. I wrapped a wood dowel with some 80 grit and removed the offending marker that was on the wood forearm. After slobbering some stain on the wood, I reassembled the rifle and it worked much better. I didn't remove all of the offending drag, but it is much easier to cycle now. I may fire a brick through it before I make any more adjustments. After all, as old as this rifle is, I don't believe the rifle had more than a box of ammo down the tube 'til I got my hands on it.

dz

Working The Rossi Gallery Rifle, from American Gunsmith's Book of the Rifle

Attachments

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.